Part 61 - Old Habits (III)

Mupallidat-Tiamat and her group made their way all the way out of the forest, across the savanna, down to the river where the Starship Iannusu lay.

The Starship came into view long before they reached it. It was a great cluster of buildings that put to shame every other settlement in the known world. The majestic Hall of the Elders towered over every other structure at the center of the Starship. This metallic supernatural gift from their ancestors was the heart of the Starship.

The Hall had power; lights day and night and all manner of amazing wonders to delight the imagination. It was from recordings in the Hall of Elders that her people learned the New Tongue and which permitted the transmission of essential caste knowledge from generation to generation. It was through the power of the Hall of Elders that they asserted the sanctity of their borders. It was what allowed them to call their settlement a Starship and not simply a village.

The Shield, a beautiful wall of light that defined the borders of Starship Iannusu straight across the river, was a shimmering transparent rainbow. It crackled and popped with power. Mupallidat-Tiamat led the other Operations Officers and the strangers right up to it.

"How did our sensors miss this?" asked Lieutenant-Commander.

"From the looks of it the shield is spread quite thin," said Dr. Kang. "It must be on a very low power draw. Wouldn't register as kay one tech from space. I bet one shot from a personal ion pistol would take it right out."

"Don't. You. Dare," said Lieutenant-Commander.

"I said 'I bet' not 'I propose to do'"

Mupallidat-Tiamat didn't follow most of that, but she knew the Shield was being disparaged. What absurdity!

"I promise you our Shield is not thin," she said. "Watch."

Mupallidat-Tiamat unslung the bow from her back. She drew an arrow, knocked it and, taking no time to aim, fired straight at the wall of colors. The arrow was atomized as soon as it made contact.

"Okay now I want to shoot it," said Dr. Kang.

"Just give me a reason, Kang," said Lieutenant-Commander.

There was a long moment of silence.

"How do we get inside?" asked Lieutenant-Commander.

"Be patient," said Mupallidat-Tiamat. "By now we'll have been spotted. Operations officers are reporting our presence to the Captain of the Shield, who will authorize our admittance."

A few seconds later, as though in response, the shield hummed loudly and a large perfectly rectangular section of it about 20 meters long faded away out of existence.

"See?" said Mupallidat-Tiamat.

"This is the last stupid obstacle, right?" asked McAfree. "This is taking forever."

"This has not taken a whole afternoon," replied Mupallidat-Tiamat.

This McAfree was certainly not Operations caste. Probably Science. Or heaven forbid Captain, although she didn't seem to be in charge.

They made their way into the Starship proper. Most of the buildings closer to the Shield were of recent construction and weren't particularly nice. Too much mud and wood, not enough stone. Mupallidat-Tiamat looked down at the ground.

"Please do not take these buildings as representative of our people. They are very poor. I am taking you to the Hall of Elders. There you will see us as we are."

"Don't worry we're not judging you," said Lieutenant-Commander.

"I-"

"Quiet, Ensign."

They followed the dirt path that grew into paved stone as they made their way deeper into the Starship. Once they came a little further the buildings grew more dense and more sturdy, like a proper Starship. There were many stone buildings, and the rest made of strong wood. This was a much better representation to the outsiders.

People started to watch curiously as they passed from windows and alleyways. Their bright white clothing marked the strangers as outsiders to anyone who gave them a passing look.

Before they reached the Hall Labynetus came running down the road after them, his sword clattering at his side.

"What is this?" he asked. "Where are you bringing these people?"

"To the Hall of Elders," said Mupallidat-Tiamat, matter-of-factly.

"They are outsiders!" he sneered.

Mupallidat-Tiamat rolled her eyes. Helmsmen.

"They're not outsiders. Well they are but they're not just regular outsiders. They're from a Starship. A different one."

"They're still outsiders, they're a security risk."

"Well the Captain of the Shield didn't seem to think so, he let us in."

"That may be so but you can't bring them to the Hall of Elders."

"That's not up to you," said Mupallidat-Tiamat.

"It's not up to you either!" insisted Labynetus. It came off more whiny than he likely intended.

"I know that's why I'm taking them to meet the Captains."

Labynetus made an irritated shout.

"This isn't over!" he shouted, pointing.

Then he walked away and left Mupallidat-Tiamat to take the outsiders to the Hall, effectively rendering the conflict over.

"I apologize for him," Mupallidat-Tiamat said. "You know how Helmsmen are."

"Tell me about it," said McAfree.