Chapter 7

I sat at the wooden desk in my room, quickly writing a letter. Sam would be freaking out by now. My curfew was dawn and if I wasn't back before then, it would mean I was in trouble.

But I was safe. Wasn't I?

My note was short and sweet and to the point.

Sam,
Don't worry. I'm safe. I need to stay a little longer. If anyone asks, I'm in the lab taking apart a creature for my research. I will be home soon.
If someone finds me missing, you are to pretend you didn't know. When I get back, if asked about your involvement, I will deny it until my dying breath.
Burn this note immediately after you read it.
Lyria

I cut a scrap of fabric from the bedsheets, rearranging the cover so it wouldn't show. With the strip of fabric I tied my note to one of my daggers. I was upset to part with it especially because it was one of my very few weapons but Sam needed to know it was from me.

I would have to make this quick. I would only have a few seconds before someone noticed.

I opened the portal to Sam's room and with a goodbye kiss to my dagger, I let it fly. I closed the portal once it crossed the threshold and caught a glimpse of the dagger burying itself into Sam's wooden dresser before the window disappeared. I could still hear the thud when I sat down.

I always told Sam when I would be jumping to another world. That way if I ever got in trouble and was gone for too long, he could get help.

Though I've tried, I can't keep secrets from Sam. It's impossible. He's the only friend I have besides my cousins.

A knock on my door made me jump. So much for going undetected.

I opened the door and was surprised at who I saw.

"Lyria!" Mor smiled. Her curled blonde hair bounced.

"Mor, what's up?"

"Kyan is in training right now and I was just passing by on my way to watch. Wanna come?"

I had nothing better to do. Rhys had advised that I don't go looking for my notebook alone so I had to wait for his training to end anyway.

"Why not."

She smiled again and took my arm in hers.

We walked the quiet corridors without saying a thing before Mor spoke up. "You and Kyan seem to be good friends."

Of course that's what she wanted to talk about. I rolled my eyes. "He likes to read my thoughts."

She laughed "He's nosy like that." Silence again. Our footsteps were the only sound. I felt like I should say something. I should say something, right? But what would I even say?

"Do you have anyone special at home?"

I laughed. Mor reminded me of the girls back home. Every woman feels the need to play matchmaker.

I sighed. I should at least try to carry this conversation. Mor was being so nice and I could tell she just wanted me to have a friend. That's more than any girl back home has ever done for me.

"Most men are afraid of me. They don't exactly like a Princess that could kick their ass"

I don't know why I had felt so safe in revealing that to her. I furrowed my brows when I realized that was the first time I had said it out loud to anyone but myself. The words hurt.

"I understand." She nodded.

"Do you?"

She looked lost in thought, as if remembering something with a sad smile. "Men tend to fear things they can't control."