Chapter 10

I have been in Prythian for a week now. Still no sign of my notebook. We even tracked our way to my makeshift camp from my first night. all that was there was the decomposed bodies of the creatures I had killed (Kyan told me they were called naga), some of my own dried blood staining the grass, and a trail of scorched twigs and leaves. Thankfully, Kyan didn't ask about that.

It felt like I had been here forever. It was officially the longest week of my life.

I sent a letter to Sam every morning assuring him I was fine. I even saw him once, two days ago. He had stayed up all night just to make sure it was truly me sending him those letters.  We only had time to slam each other into a hug and say a couple rushed words before I had to close the portal.

He told me he wasn't sure how much longer he could keep our family off my tail. They believed him when he said I was shut up in my lab, working away. That was a normal occurrence. But a week had passed. And they were asking questions. He wouldn't be able to lie to them forever. My family is too smart for that.

I had to go home. And soon.

But I almost didn't want to.

I loved life in Prythian. Truly. Cassian was impressed daily by my swordsman skills. He even taught me quite a few new tricks that I couldn't wait to try out against Fenrys. The nickname be gave me stuck and he called me "Tiny" more than he did my actual name. At first I thought it was because he had forgotten my real name, but when we are messing around in training and he needs me to actually be serious, he calls me Lyria.

Feyre had become my library buddy, staying up until the early hours of the morning with me silently sitting with a book in hand. Her soft spoken encouragement and kind eyes reminded me of Aunt Elide.

Amren didn't talk too much but when she did I was eager to hear what she had to say. She was a curiosity to me. A strange creature from another world stuck in this one. We were alike in that sense.

Azriel asked me how I had snuck all those weapons that first breakfast and how I kept going under their radar. I think the spy side of himself related to the rebellious daughter side of me. After he was comfortable enough with me, he told me stories from his times bring Rhys' spy. I listened like a child around a camp fire listening to legends of old.

Mor and I talked about anything and everything together. We mostly shared stories of boys we had met that had been so inferior to us. Considering I was surrounded by boys growing up, it was cool to have another girl to talk to. Evangeline and I were always close but she was much older than me and moved away when she got married. I can't visit her as much as I wished anymore.

Rhys told me the history of Prythian whenever I asked. Turns out Rhys is over 500 years old so he's the perfect person to ask for it.

And then there's Kyan.

Kyan and I spent almost every second of every day together. Even when we weren't together, our minds were linked constantly. I had more conversations in my mind with Kyan than I had verbally with everyone in the house combined. Even when we were in different rooms, he teasing voice purred in my subconscious. And when we were separated on opposite sides of a room, our eyes somehow always found their way to each other.

He wasn't any less flirtatious. In fact, he pretty much had me in a constant state of exasperation. It made me feel wanted. And I kinda liked it.

Suri and I were practically best friends. She was insanely smart for a child her age and got so excited when I told her about my research that she didn't stop jumping for seven minutes. She asked me questions all the time, which I didn't mind because it reminded me of myself when I was younger. Curious. Intelligent. Hungry to adventure the unknown. She was like the little sister I never had.