Chapter 26

We said our goodbyes to Sevenda and I was convinced she was the sweetest woman I had ever met. She even gave Aunt Elide a run for her money.

"Kyan, dear, you've never brought someone with you to my restaurant, this girl must be special." She looked to me and winked, teasing Kyan.

Kyan's hand squeezed extra tight. "She is." And with that, we were on our way to the next stop on tonight's adventure.

"This is the Rainbow of Velaris. The artists corner." And that much was very true. Houses and shoppes painted the brightest colors lined the street. From our standing point I could see a potters, an art gallery, a store for any and all art supplies, and even a theatre. My mother would love this place.

"It's beautiful." I breathed, trying to take it all in.

He brushed the hair from my face. "One day I'll take you to that gallery." He pointed to the corner building that was painted every different color in the rainbow. I guess the 'Rainbow if Velaris' was a fitting name. "My mother and I send our art to that gallery. The owners have loved my mother for generations and it was our way of saying thanks."

"So you're an artist is what I'm hearing." I smirked up at him and he smiled, those sparkling white teeth shining.

We turned and continued to walk towards the river. "If an artist is someone that loves art then yes, I am an artist. But if an artist is any good at art then it's my mother that is the artist."

I giggled. "Do you and your mother paint a lot?"

"All the time. It's calming and something productive that my restless self can do that involves creating instead of destroying."

We walked along that powerful river — the Sidra. Now, we stood on a bridge overlooking that sapphire water. "During Hybern's attack on Velaris, years before I was even born, my mother stood on this bridge and manipulated the water against their enemies. She stood in defense of the Rainbow. Without her, it might not still be here."

Feyre was literally such a bad ass. Behind that natural kindness and maternal nature, was a warrior. And even before hearing this story I knew it. The power that radiated off of Rhys and Kyan was intense, but the power I felt from Feyre... that power inside her was a bottomless well. It just kept going and going and going. Endless.

I curled my fingers over the water and streams of it broke away into the air, swirling its way up to the bridge.

"My mother made them wolves." He whispered, his arm wrapping around my waist. The gesture felt so normal and perhaps that's why I leaned into his body.

"Well I don't know if I can do wolves." I laughed. I had never attempted to shape water. I usually just directed it to splash onto Tatum or Sam's face. "Maybe a tiny bunny?"

"Try it," he whispered in my ear and I shivered. That grip around my waist tightened. His hand on my bare stomach. I could breathe him in. That scent of night and pine filled my nose and sent my senses flying.

I held my breath as I focused, I guess for some reason that helps, or at least I've convinced myself it does.

Slowly but surely, that water formed a wolf. It wasn't massive or anything like I'm sure Feyre had created way back when on this very bridge. It was maybe the size of a small dog like Fleetfoot but I didn't really care. I was just focused on the shape. I based it off of my memory of Fenrys and it strangely enough looked like him. In his wolf form at least.

"You did it." He said in awe and I let the water fall back into the river. It fell unceremoniously with a splash.

I was shocked as well. "I did it." I said breathlessly and jumped to hug Kyan. With my arms wrapped around his neck, I felt his body shake as he laughed.

He slowly let me back down to the ground. "Is there anything you can't do, Lyria?"

"I absolutely cannot paint so there's one thing you could beat me in." His eyes danced as he laughed. Being a breath away from someone had never seemed so far. With my arms still around his neck, and his still around my waist, we could have kissed. We almost did. We would have.... If we hadn't been interrupted.

———————————————————————-

Hey y'all!
I hope you all are safe and healthy! I've really been getting back into writing because it calms me and gives me something to do in quarantine.
What are some things y'all are doing? (I could use some suggestions)
Hope you're enjoying the story!
Love, Rosie 🥀