Chapter 8

Kyan and I walked the forest for hours. We talked about everything from our daily training schedule to different customs in our courts. Of course I had to leave out the tiny detail that I was perhaps going to grow up to be the most powerful creature in my world. But he couldn't know that. Not yet.

Because I didn't want him to run.

With Kyan being the first born son of the High Lord of the Night Court, and me being the Crown Princess of Terrasen, there was a lot of things we both related to. We had more in common than I had assumed. Our worlds weren't too different after all.

He asked me all about my research and actually seemed genuinely interested. He was impressed with how many different worlds I had been to in the past 3 years. It felt good to explain my life dream to someone who actually cared.

Though my family loves me and they'll support me in anything I do, no one understands. There are no wars (my mom took care of that) so what else am I supposed to do? Wait around for some man to marry me and become queen? I didn't think so.

No one understands my love for adventure and discovery and my obsession with other worldly things. People don't realize that all creatures have a language. No matter what world they come from, no matter what shape or form they prowl around in, there are certain characteristics they all share. My research has proved that. But no one shares in my enthusiasm.

There are worlds undiscovered. There are creatures never even heard of. There are things wilder than anything imaginable. How could you not want to experience that?

But Kyan cared. He walked silently as I rambled on and on about the things I've seen and the places I've been. His violet eyes seemed to never leave my face yet he didn't miss a step as we walked. It felt refreshing to know that for once when I ranted about my research, someone was listening. Someone was caring. Someone was there. And no matter how long I talked or how long we walked, the intensity never left his gaze.

I hadn't realized how long we had been out until the sun started to set. Kyan said we definitely shouldn't be out deep in the forest when the sun went down. I didn't want to argue with that logic. Though I can be incredibly stubborn at times, I'd really love to leave this world in one piece.

We walked side by side into the castle. On our way through the training yard, Kyan picked up his long discarded shirt and, unfortunately, put it on. It was quiet and our footsteps echoed. Kyan grabbed my hand, "Let me show you something."

I followed after him down a massive hallway that had family portraits hanging on the walls, windows on the one side cascaded golden orange light from the setting sun. We made it to the set of double doors on the far end and Kyan pushed.

When my eyes fell upon the room being revealed to me, I lost my breath. Books. Thousands and thousands of books. Book shelves that stretched up to three stories high filled to the brim with books.

I walked into the room as if in a trance, still gripping Kyan's hand. Wether I wanted to or not, I forget. But his hand stayed in mine as I walked, my eyes taking in the library.

We had a library in Terrasen. My dad had one built into the castle for moms coronation gift. And Uncle Dorian had 4 built in Adarlan alone. But ours was not nearly as big. Kyan's library was the biggest I had ever seen.

A huge stone fireplace was built into one wall and was ablaze with fire. I could feel the warmth radiating off of it even all the way across the room

"Do you like it?" Kyan laughed.

"Like it?" I gasped. "I could die in here and I would die surrounded by a million stories of heroes and villains and adventures."

"That wasn't exactly the effect I was hoping for but I'll try my best to keep you from dying in here."