Chapter 19

We decided that I would leave in the morning. It would be the safest bet. I didn't want to portal in the middle of the night. Even after my studying and research, I am well aware that there are many things I don't know about the Night Court. It would be too big a risk to portal in all alone in the middle of the night.

"What are we going to tell mom and dad?"

Hm. Good question. I hadn't even thought about that. Probably because it scared the shit out of me so I had been avoiding it.

I rummaged through my closet trying to find clothes to pack. I'm sure Mor would be more than happy to give me some of her clothes to borrow but I didn't want to be a nuisance. Last times' stay was unplanned so it was weird packing for a couple days in a world not my own.

"You can't lie and tell them you are busy with research. You'll be missing a few days of training. Someone is bound to check the lab sooner or later." Tatum's voice spoke up from my bedroom. He and Sam were sitting on my bed as I abandoned them to my closet.

I grabbed a couple pieces of clothing and threw them into my pack. I looked at the white shirt I had been wearing when I came home, the shirt Mor had given me. I decided to leave it here instead of packing it. The white shirt had hung off my shoulders and would expose my scar in its entirety. The reddening of the damaged skin did not lessen at all so I was trying not to show it off. Not just yet.

It wasn't that I ashamed or embarrassed by my scar. Not at all. I just didn't have the energy or time to explain it.

"Tell them I'm off hunting with Tatum. Say that we're practicing shifting into different animals to give us advantage against our prey."

Sam nodded and I turned to Tatum. "That means you need to be invisible. You can stay in the lab or even actually go hunting, I don't care. But you cannot be seen. If they see you alone, my cover is blown."

"Understood."

And just like that, his mission was given and his challenge accepted. Ever the obedient knight.

I strapped my daggers to my thighs, and threw a quiver of arrows over my shoulder. I decided to leave Goldryn since it sometimes became cumbersome and annoying. Besides, I was much better with just my daggers anyway.

"Sam," I gestured for him to put his hand out and he obliged. I dropped a golden bracelet into his palm. "Remember what I showed you about jumping between worlds. All you have to do is hold this and think of me. A portal will open up wherever I am. Be careful. Be safe. That world is not our own. Don't forget that."

He nodded and I ruffled a hand through his messy blonde hair. He combed it back into place immediately.

"Only come to get me in an absolute emergency. If I'm gone for more than three days, you need to send a search and rescue. If such a thing is needed, explain to Fenrys the situation but do not tell mom and dad until it is a confirmed worst case scenario."

I opened a portal to the Night Court, it's familiar scent hit my nose. I didn't want to alarm them by opening a portal inside the castle so instead I opened it in in the woods just outside of the training yard. Thankfully, it was still early enough that no one was outside training yet. The dawn glow of the rising sun cast orange and pink rays through the trees.

It was beautiful as always.

I turned back to face my cousin and brother. "I'll be fine." I whispered to both of them again. I actually didn't know if the assurance was more for them or me. I would be lying to say that I never wondered wether Rhys and Feyre would welcome me with open arms, or weapons drawn.