Prologue

Andraste Dubois was born to a beautiful woman named Isabella Dubois. And although the woman did not have a respected job, she was a kind person. She wanted the best for her child, although she was fearful to have Andraste.

Isabella didn't even know the name of the father of her child. He had been nice—as nice a a man paying for a woman's company could be. He paid extra. But he was with her for one night and then he was gone, having mentioned something about needing his fix before his long journey to London.

Isabella did not care for the absence of a husband, though. She was independent, which explained why she had the occupation she did. She had a hard time working under a man's rule. This trait she prayed would not be passed down to her daughter as it made life difficult.

The only family Isabella had left was her half brother, Garthen. He was an old man. A cruel man. She did not like him, but she disliked having a child alone even more. Especially since she knew she was very sick.

Prostitutes are not fed well. Isabella is malnourished and weak. He body is not meant for childbirth. And yet, she couldn't stop it.

Isabella had about ten seconds to gaze upon her daughter in her arms and bestow a name upon her. Isabella named her daughter Andraste after the War Goddess named Andraste in Roman mythology. She prayed her daughter be independent, yet able to hold her tongue. The second trait Isabella never mastered.

As Isabella's eyes grew heavy while sitting in that hospital bed, she handed Andraste off to Garthen, making him swear that he would take care of the child. Garthen swore, although he did not mean it. But it was not like Isabella could scold him for lying as she died moments later.

Garthen hated Isabella and her new found daughter. He didn't want the product of an
un-respected job, so he traveled the streets of Paris. He put baby Andraste in a basket and set the basket on the doorstep of the Paris Oper House. He didn't even knock as he left the newborn in the rain, disappearing into the darkness of the night.

Madame Courture took Andraste in under the protection of the Paris Opera house, which wasn't much protection. Madame Courture was a composure and music teacher as she was in charge of the female Opera singers.

She knew the owners of the Opera House would not let Andraste stay, but she convinced them. Madame Courture told them that they must think in the long run. Andraste will be trained as a beautiful opera singer and, in the future, she will bring in most of the profit for the Opera House. They finally agreed as long as Madame Courture took care of Andraste.

For the next sixteen years of Andraste's life, she learned to be an opera singer and progressed. It was if she was born to sing for her voice was beautiful and her talent was unable to doubt. But her world came crashing down when Madame Courture died from tuberculosis.

A new composure and music teacher came in, her name being Madame Barrac. She constantly abused Andraste and the rest of the singers, including hurting their voices. The owners of the Opera turned a blind eye and let it be as it was.

Now years later, Andraste is nineteen years old and she is waiting for the day when she can leave the Opera and finally fight for her country.