Chapter Twelve

October 28, 1831

It had been two weeks since the last rally when Enjolras hid under Andra's bed in the Opera House.

No matter how hard Andra tried, she could not take her mind off of the few seconds before Enjolras climbed out of the window, when he pressed his forehead to hers.

The strange act was oddly intimate and not often shared between friends, which is why Andra kept thinking of it. Perhaps he had been caught up in the adrenaline of the moment.

That guess was wrong. Enjolras knew what he was doing, although his sudden courage pushed him to do so. He had watched Andra get slapped. She defended him. She protected him. And he needed to say everything he ever wanted to tell her, but he couldn't bring himself to form the words. So he created that gesture so, by chance, she will realize he truly cares for her. Friends do not have moments like that.

Andra simply tried her best to push it out of her mind during practices, but the night when she tried to fall asleep is when her mind wandered. And she did nothing to stop it.

Andra liked the thought of Enjolras caring for her, although she would never admit that. So she played pretend, but what she didn't know is it wasn't pretend at all.

Andra had gotten done with another meeting at the ABC Café as she had made new posters to pass out to the singers and dancers of the Opera House, a few whom had joined. That included Louis Roux, a singer who had a liking for Andra.

Andra and Enjolras had not spoken of the night he hid in the Opera House. They had told the revolutionaries that they had both hidden in a back alley together, which caused smirks and mumbles to be shared throughout the room.

For some reason, Andra didn't want the revolutionaries knowing she was beaten by Madame Barrac. She believed they'd think she was weak. She was already worried Enjolras thought lesser of her.

This was not the case at all. If anything, Enjolras thought more of her. And he had already thought the world of her before.

Andra walked back to the Opera House, the papers hidden in the folds of her dress. She walked up the steps and crept into the building, trying not to make a lot of sound incase Madame Barrac was in a bad mood.

Andra stepped slowly, passed Madame Barrac's office that was nicer than any dorm in the Opera House. The floor betrayed Andra as a creaking noise echoed through the silent hall.

"Andraste," Madame Barrac's stern voice spoke from the office room. "Come in."

Andra couldn't leave the papers in the hallway for risk of someone finding them, so she decided to hold the papers behind her back. It was not the most inconspicuous decision, but it was her only option.

Andra opened the door, slowly. The door let out a long and painful creaking noise, as every door and floorboard did in the Opera House.

"Yes, Madame?" Andra asked as politely as she could as she walked into the room, her hand clapping the papers behind her back.

The office was large. Much bigger than the dorms. There was also a small fireplace lit behind Madame Barrac, making the office the warmest room in the entire Opera House.

Madame Barrac scowled at Andra, taking a swig of the alcoholic beverage in her hand. She was sprawled out across her chair, obviously wasted.

"Don't act all sweet and innocent now," the woman drank. "I know that boy hid in your room. He was at the Opera Show." Madame Barrac stood up from her sprawled out position, glaring at Andra the entire time. "He doesn't care about you." Andra hated that her emotions were so transparent.

Andra didn't respond as Madame Barrac walked closer to her. Andra's eyes darted down to Madame Barrac's desk. There, glinting in the firelight, was the emerald necklace Madame Barrac has stolen from Andra only weeks earlier.

Madame Barrac stopped in front of Andra, her breath reeking of alcohol. Andra turned her attention back to Madame Barrac just in time to receive a slap across the face.

Andra fell to the ground. The alcohol must've given Madame a new found strength as she had never hit Andra so hard.

"You look at me when I speak to you!" Madame Barrac screamed at Andra, taking a swig of her alcohol and spitting it out on Andra. Andra rose to her feet, wiping the spit and alcohol mixture off of her face. "What do we have here?" Madame Barrac asked as she noticed Andra was hiding something behind her back.

Madame Barrac set her finished bottle in the desk and tried to reach behind Andra's back for the papers, but stumbled and almost fell when Andra moved out of the way. They both switched places so that Andra now had her back to the fire and Madame Barrac has her back to the door.

"Give those papers to me!" Madame Barrac screamed when she saw a corner of one of the papers peak out from behind Andra's petite waist.

Madame Barrac lunged for Andra, grabbing the wrist with the papers so tight that Andra knew it was going to bruise. Madame Barrac used her other hand to try and grab the papers, but Andra reacted faster. Andra used her free hand to push Madame Barrac away from her.

Madame Barrac stumbled backwards and fell to the floor, watching as Andra turned and threw the papers into the fire. Madame Barrac screamed in anger as she stood up and hit Andra repeatedly until the girl fell to the floor.

Andra knew she couldn't fight back or else Madame Barrac would file police reports. She was stuck.

Andra fell to the floor in pain hiding her head on the hard wood. Madame Barrac then kicked Andra in the ribs and spat on her once again. Andra felt a hot liquid drip from her noise due to hitting her head on the floor.

"Lousy girl!" Madame Barrac screamed as she went back to her chair. "Terrible, selfish girl!" She opened one of the drawers in her desk and took out another bottle, opening it up and drinking from it.

Andra lifted her fingers to her nose to touch the hot liquid, seeing the blood glistening on her fingers. Her body ached. She knew she had to leave.

Andra stood up, moving as quickly as she could out of the room. She reached to the desk and grabbed the emerald necklace in her hand, grasping onto it as she hobbled away.

"Where are you going?" Madame Barrac asked, watching as Andra rushed for the door. Madame Barrac has fear in her voice.

Andra didn't answer as she began to sprint out of the room and down the hallway, seeing the Opera House doors in front of her.

"He won't be there for you!" Madame Barrac screamed at Andra. That was the last thing Andra heard as she ran out the doors, leaving the Opera House behind.