Chapter Nine

October 11, 1831

It was the day that Eliza was leaving. Andra had spent the entire day sulking as she helped pack her friend's bag. Many people of the Opera House were downhearted, but not nearly as dejected as Andra.

Andraste was not sure how she would survive in the Opera House. Madame Barrac made sure to tread lightly around Andra as she was friends with Eliza. Eliza's family was the most of the Opera House's income as they donated a small bit of money to make sure their daughter had better living conditions. Although this never stopped Madame Barrac from screaming or getting a few hits in.

But now, Andra had no protective barrier between her and Madame Barrac. Eliza was gone. And so the pain would ensue.

"You shall write me," Eliza smiled as she handed her friend fresh paper and ink. Andra's eyes lit up as she looked down at the present.

"I cannot take this!" Andra shook her head, backing away.

"I do not want scraps sent to my house," Eliza joked. "Just don't waste it all on writing music and books." Andra nodded, understanding, as she took the paper and ink.

"I shall miss you," Andra looked up at Eliza with tearing eyes. Andra rarely ever cried, so this act surprised Eliza. Eliza rushed forward and pulled Andra into a hug.

"I will see you soon," Eliza smiled, breaking out of the hug. "You could come live in Savoy with me. Find a husband." The two girls laughed.

"Alas, I am needed here," Andra smiled sadly.

Eliza smirked as she continued packing. "Yes, by Enjolras." Andra did not respond which only made Eliza's smirk grow.

Andra didn't disagree. She just didn't realize that Eliza wasn't talking about Enjolras in a friend sort of way, but instead she was talking about him in a lover sort of way.

Eliza and Andra finished packing Eliza's bags of her beautiful clothing she rarely ever wore. Eliza left a beautiful necklace on Andra's bed. It had a silver chain with some sort of gem at the edge. Judging by the color, it was an emerald. When Andra picked it up to throw it into the bags last minute, Eliza stopped her.

"I can't take this. You already gave me paper," Andra smiled and shook her head, trying to reach for Eliza's leather bag. Eliza stepped in front of the bag, blocking it from Andra.

"Take it for me," Eliza smiled. "So I know you won't forget me." Andra began crying once again and grabbed her friend in another bone crushing hug.

"I will never forget you, Eliza," Andra wept into Eliza's shoulder. "You are my best friend."

Eliza tried to hold back her sobs, but was unable to as a few tears streamed down her face. She hated the Opera House but she loved Andra. And she couldn't bare the thought of what Madame Barrac will do to Andra now that Eliza is leaving.

Eliza and Andra stood outside in front of the Opera House as one of the servants from Eliza's family loaded her bags into a carriage. Andra and Eliza turned to each other, knowing this was goodbye.

"I will see you soon," Eliza cried as she hugged her friend. Andra squeezed her before letting go. She couldn't hold on any longer. It would hurt too much.

"No you won't," Andra frowned, wiping away her tears that rolled down her cheeks. Eliza nodded, sadly, knowing Andra spoke the truth.

They would probably never see each other in person again. It was rare for someone to travel to a different country, especially a woman. And once Eliza was married, she wouldn't travel.

"I've been informed that the moment I get home I am to look through eligible bachelors," Eliza frowned.

"At least you will have left the wretched place," Andra told her.

"I rather stay and love," Eliza wiped away another tear.

"It might work out," Andra tried to lift Eliza's spirits. "You might come to love one of them."

"I might," Eliza frowned. "Will you come to my wedding? I will make arrangements and you won't have to pay-"

"Yes," Andra smiled. "I'll come." Eliza pulled Andra into another hug.

"Promise?" Eliza asked.

"I promise," Andra nodded and the two broke out of the hug.

"Be careful," Eliza told Andra.

Andra nodded, but she wasn't sure what Eliza meant. Was Eliza talking about the revolution? Madame Barrac? Being alone?

Eliza placed her hands on Andra's shoulders, staring straight into her eyes. "Even though you may not believe in it, you can find love."

Andra nodded, taking her friend in one more hug before letting go. Eliza walked down the stairs of the Opera House and up to the carriage. She opened the door and gave one final glance to Andra before climbing into the carriage.

Andra gripped the emerald necklace in her hand as she watched the carriage drive away. And she began to cry, silently.