Chapter Eleven

They all stood up in front of the court house, Marius and Enjolras standing in wooden milk crates to be seen over the heads of the crowd.

They had only began yelling and passing out papers and pins twenty or so minutes ago and the crowd around them was very large. At least two hundred people stood in the square, shouting back at Enjolras and Marius in agreement to their words.

Andra clasped the pin to her dress, smiling as she listened to Enjolras and Marius shout. Andra had joined in on the shouting, gathering a few people around and encouraging them to join.

Many woman joined in as they saw Andra yelling along and supporting the group, although they still seemed skeptical.

"Why should we listen to you?" One woman yelled at Enjolras and Marius. This caught their attention.

"I agree!" Another woman hollered. "You are rich men! You know nothing of how women have suffered!"

Eyes all turned to Andra as she was the only woman standing with the revolutionaries. Enjolras stood down from his milk crate and walked over to Andra.

"Please speak to them," Enjolras asked her. Andra looked at him for a moment before nodding. Andra climbed up onto a wooden cart as she was already short and needed a bigger boost up than Marius or Enjolras.

"I know what you speak of," Andra began.

Eyes widened as some people in the crowd recognized her from the Opera House. Mostly the nobles recognized her.

"Do you, opera singer?" A beggar woman yelled out at Andraste. Andra turned to look at the beggar woman.

"Yes, I do," She stared straight into the woman's eyes. The woman's mouth closed. "I feel what you all feel. I live with hunger pains in my stomach. I go to sleep cold due to a freezing draft blowing in from an open window. I do not know when my next payment will come. But I believe in this revolution."

There were mumbles that erupted around the town square. But for the most part, the crowd seemed to trust Andra with what she says.

"I have joined these men. As a woman and a revolutionary I ask you to join us and fight, even if that means simply with your support. We can end this cruel monarchy and dethrone the tyrant. Vive la France!" Andra shouted, hoisting her fist into the air. Everyone in the crowd joined, chanting 'vive la France' over an over.

The cheering was cut short, however, when a woman in the crowd screamed.

"The police are here! It's Javert!" The random lady screamed. Chaos erupted around them as the crowd scattered, the revolutionaries trying to get to safety.

Andra had heard of Inspector Javert. He was notorious around Paris. He believed in the law and nothing else.

Andra looked over and Enjolras and grabbed his hand on instinct, pulling him through the crowd of people. Men and women rushed past the pair, bumping into them as they ran.

Once they made it out of the town square, Andra and Enjolras continued to run as they heard the footsteps of the French police running after them.

"I know where to hide," Andra told Enjolras as they continued to run, Enjolras's grip on Andra only tightening.

They ran through alleyways and crossed streets with carriage traffic, the police only a few steps behind them. Until they turned a corner and reached the Opera House, running inside.

"Is this a good idea?" Enjolras asked Andra as they entered the Opera House. Andra did not respond which answered Enjolras's question.

Andra lead Enjolras through the Opera House and to the only place she could think of that was remotely safe. The dorms.

"Andraste!" Madame Barrac's screeches echoed down the halls.

The pair entered the dorm rooms and both searched around frantically, looking for a hiding spot. Andra finally decided where to hide Enjolras as they rushed over to Andra's bed.

"Hide under here," Andra spoke, watching as Enjolras obliged and crawled under the bed. "Madame Barrac is not pleased. No matter what she says or does to me, do not come out."

Enjolras looked hesitant but nodded, disappearing under the bed. Seconds later, Madame Barrac entered the room.

"What was all this commotion in the town square?" Madame Barrac asked. She must have heard the screaming.

"I am not sure, Madame," Andra spoke, meeting Madame Barrac halfway, in the middle of the room.

Madame Barrac looked down at the emerald necklace sitting around Andra's neck. She sneered at it before lifting her palm and grabbing onto it, yanking the jewelry from Andra's neck. Andra gasped as she felt the chain break away.

Madame Barrac turned to leave when Andra spoke up.

"That necklace is mine," she spoke with a new found confidence. "Eliza gave it to me. It is all I have of her."

Madame Barrac turned back to stare and Andra. In that moment she knew she had done something wrong.

Madame Barrac raised her hand and smacked Andra across the right cheek. Andra looked up at Madame Barrac, holding her cheek. Her face stung, as did her eyes.

"You do not talk back to me!" Madame Barrac screamed at Andra before turning and stomping out of the room.

Andra wasted no time to rush over to Enjolras and let him out from under her bed.

"Are you okay?" Enjolras asked, truly concerned. If he hadn't seen the slap, he definitely heard it. Andra nodded, pushing Enjolras towards the single broken window in the dorms.

"Yes I am fine, now go," she told him.

Enjolras put his hand on the back of Andra's neck and pressed his forehead to her own for a second before breaking apart and staring at her for another second. He then turned and climbed out of the window.