Chapter Ten

October 21, 1831

It had been two weeks since Andra's first meeting at the ABC Café and today was the rally. It was going to be held outside of the court house, in the morning.

Practice had been cancelled for the day as a singer fell ill and Madame Barrac needed time to make arrangements to replace the singer.

The singer had already been shipped away to a nearby hospital as they didn't want to risk the others living in the Opera House of illness.

Andra woke up early that morning before the sun rose. Everyone was going to meet at the ABC Café and go out to the rally together.

Andra made sure to be quiet so nobody else in the dorms heard her as she pulled out an older, simple, red dress. The color on it was faded and the dress was dusty. There were a few small holes in the sleeves and the bottom of the dress, but they were hidden well enough. It worked.

Andra clasped Eliza's necklace around her neck and headed out for the day, heading towards the Café Musain.

It had only been a week and a half since Eliza left and there was already a significant difference in the Opera House. Everyone was even gloomier than normal. Madame Barrac was angrier and screamed at Andra and the rest of the singers more frequently.

Just last night Andra had been forbidden to have breakfast this morning because she did not hit the right note at practice. Her voice was tired and she needed a break.

Andra entered the café and walked to the back, smiling at the customers and waitresses on her way. They knew her as a regular face now, even greeting her by her name.

When Andra entered the back room, she saw that many of the boys were already there including Marius, Grantaire, and Enjolras. They smiled her as she walked in, Courfeyac grabbing her in a hug as normal. Marius also hugged her, but did not pick her up off the ground. Grantaire simply raised his bottle at her with the nod of his head, which is how he always greeted her.

Enjolras stopped what he was saying as Andra walked in and he turned to smile at her. He walked up to Andra and pulled her into a small hug, letting go quickly as an attempt to not make her feel uncomfortable. When his arms left her, she missed them.

"Thank you for coming, Andra," Enjolras smiled a half smile at her, which is about the biggest smile he had ever given her.

"Of course, Enjolras," Andraste smiled at him, a full smile. "Why do you keep thanking me?"

Andra didn't understand why Enjolras still thanked her every time for coming to a meeting and now he continued to thank her for attending the rally.

"Because you did not have you come," he spoke. "You did not have to join us."

"Yes, but I did," Andra smiled. "So please treat me as any other revolutionary." Enjolras nodded before pulling something out of his pocket. It was a pistol. A model 1770 flintlock pistol, to be exact. It was beautifully polished and well taken care of.

"Do you know how to fire a gun?" He asked her. Andra gulped but nodded. She did, but the story as to how she figured out how to fire a gun was a story she did not like to relive.

When she was seven years old, Andra was playing on the steps of the Opera House after a practice. Right in the middle of the street, Andra watched a police man shoot a civilian. After that, Madame Courture taught Andra how to fire a pistol. Just incase she would ever need it. And now, she did.

Enjolras did not ask how she knew but simply handed her the gun, which already had a bullet in it.

Andra thanked Enjolras with a nod as she took it. She walked over to a corner where she was hidden from eyes and stuffed the gun in the bodice of her dress so that it lay against her chest. Her dress was loose enough that it did not show the figure of the gun and the tighter waist held it in place. She would have to sew in some pockets so she could hide her gun in the folds of her dress. This would make it easier to get it out.

Once Andra was done hiding away the weapon and making sure it wasn't visible under her dress, she walked back out into the middle of the room and joined Enjolras at the main table.

Andra saw a plate of fresh biscuits set out along with a bowl of fruit. She had not seen something so mouthwatering in ages.

Andra licked her lips, imagining what the wonderful substances must taste like. She could not remember the last time she ate biscuits that weren't stale or fruit that wasn't rotten. And how much she hungered for it, especially since she was not allowed anything for breakfast.

Enjolras noticed Andra eyeing the food and chuckled lightly, looking over at her.

"Would you like something to eat?" Enjolras asked Andraste. Andra looked up at him and blushed, smiling sheepishly. She had not realized she was so obvious. Enjolras found it adorable.

Andra nodded and watched as Enjolras grabbed the plate and the bowl, placing them in front of Andra. As to not seem too greedy, Andra picked up a biscuit and bit into it. She could not remember eating food this delicious.

She continued to eat as Enjolras walked to the front of the room, getting everyone's attention.

"Does everyone know the plan?" He asked. Everyone mumbled a yes in response. "Good. Let's go run a revolution."