Chapter Five

Practice had ended. Practice went from seven A.M to five P.M meaning that Andraste had two hours to prepare before the meeting at the Café Musain.

Andra went back to the dorms where Eliza was waiting for her, sitting on her bed. Andra smiled at the sight of her friend.

"Shortened practice today?" Andra asked her as she went to the foot of her bed and opened her small trunk where she kept the only belongings she owned.

Eliza nodded, hopping you off the bed. "Yes, Madame Proffé told us to rest up before the performance tomorrow."

"It must be nice to have a coordinator who cares about your wellbeing," Andra sighed as she finished digging through her trunk. She found a simple blue dress and her old corset.

Eliza helped Andra tie the corset, showing of her slim figure which was in fact much slimmer than the corset could show due to malnourishment. Andra slipped the dress on, which looked simply beautiful on her. She pinned her hair up and an attempt to look older.

Andra stared at her reflection in the small broken glass mirror that all the women of the Opera House shared. She was never one to care about her appearance besides show days, which she was forced to care. She never thought of herself as beautiful, but many told her otherwise along with jealous women that gossiped at night about her beauty. Andra did understand why they didn't have some better use of their time.

"Beautiful," Eliza smiled from where she sat on Andra's bed. "A date?"

"No," Andra laughed with the shake of her head before sitting down in the bed next to Eliza. "A meeting."

"A meeting for what?" Eliza asked her. Andra stared at her best friend for a moment, wondering if she should tell her. Eliza would certainly have no interest in joining. She never cared for politics or the revolution. She was going to leave France soon, anyway.

"For the revolution," Andra spoke in hushed tones. No doubt Madame Barrac would report her to the police if she found out Andra was planning to become a revolutionary.

"The revolution?" Eliza asked, her eyes widening as she spoke loudly.

"Shh!" Andraste scolded her friend. "Yes. I am to become a revolutionary."

"Andra, you know how dangerous that is!" Eliza whisper yelled at her friend. "Especially being a woman."

"That's exactly why this is smart," Andra smiled. "I'm a woman. No one is to suspect a woman being a rebel. This way I can spy if I must."

"Are you saying you would use your body?" Eliza asked, her eyes looking horrified.

"For the revolution, I would," Andra told Eliza. And this was true. Andra would do whatever she must to help the revolution.

"I knew you were political, but I didn't think you'd join the revolution," Eliza let out a huff.

"It shall be okay," Andra smiled as she took her best friend's hands in her own. "I have friends."

"Friends?" Eliza asked her to clarify.

"Yes," Andra nodded. "One of them walked me home last night. They can protect me. But I plan to protect myself. I am smart, you know."

"I know," Eliza frowned, looking down. But as she though of Andra's words, she looked back up and smiled. "One of them walked you home?"

"Yes. His name is Enjolras and he's rather kind," Andra shrugged while getting up to wrap her shawl around her shoulders.

"Did he kiss your hand?"

"Yes."

"Did he compliment you?"

"...yes."

"That doesn't sound like a friend," Eliza gushed. Andra turned to look at her.

"What do you mean?"

"I mean," Eliza smiled as she leaned back on Andra's bed. "A friend doesn't compliment you or kiss your hand." Andra rolled her eyes and turned back towards the mirror.

"Yes they do," Andra scoffed. "He was a gentleman. I just met him yesterday."

"Ever heard of love at first sight?" Eliza smiled.

"Yes, but love is not real," Andraste told Eliza, turning back around for a final time and sitting on the bed once again.

"Of course it is," Eliza told her. "And you may have found it."

"You sound more love struck than I," Andra rolled her eyes. "And ignorant. He and I know nothing about each other."

"Yet," Eliza smirked.

"Regardless," Andra stood up and rolled her eyes once again. "I am leaving. You may stay here with your fantasies."

"Go get that man!" Eliza yelled as Andra walked out the door.

Andra rolled her eyes once again but couldn't help but smile. She would miss her best friend more than anything.