02.

Nicole wasn't exactly ecstatic about Jess trying to pry into her business. She wanted to escape the monsters, not gain two more people to protect. She sure as hell didn't want to get attached to these strangers.

   The blonde woman sat there on a chair in the cabin. She pondered her thoughts, trying to outweigh the pros and cons of tagging along with them. Nicole knew that the pros would prevail; but, that doesn't mean she would have to like it.

   "Miss," Jess pulled her from her thoughts. "We have some food if you and your girl would like to eat." Nicole heard the scoff coming from Daryl, who sat across the room. Cheyanne looked up her mother with hopeful eyes. Nicole knew her daughter was hungry -- they hadn't eaten in days.

   Nicole looked over to the brooding man, who was chewing on his thumbnail. His blue eyes met her own green as if he were anticipating her response. "If it's alright with you two," Nicole asked as she looked over to the older man.

   "You've got a lil' one. She needs to eat." Jess offered a gentle smile. Nicole nodded and Cheyanne dashed over to the food.

   Daryl scoffed and stormed out of the door. "Don't worry about 'im. He's just worried about his brother," Jess told the confused woman. Nicole got up and shuffled over to her daughter, who was shoving some deer jerky down her throat.

   "Chey," Nicole muttered, "slow down." Jess placed a bag of saltine crackers and some peanut butter beside her. "Thank you."

   Jess offered her a smile and sat down in front of her. "What're Y'all doing out here all by yourselves?" His dirty hands caressed each other on the table as he leaned toward them in honest curiosity.

   Nicole took a scoop of peanut butter and put it on a saltine. Once she put it in her mouth, she savored to taste. She missed that thick consistency. She missed Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwiches. Nicole swallowed her food and cleared her throat. "We went to Atlanta to find my brother when it all started," her voice rasped out. "But that didn't exactly work out."

   Her green eyes looked over to her daughter, who was finishing up the jerky. "We've just been in getting around any way we can."

   Jess nodded in understanding. "Well, you and your Lil' one can stay with my nephew and me for as long as you want."

   Nicole gave him a quiet thanks before continuing to eat. Jess got up from his seat and disappeared into the cabin. "Mama," Cheyanne's sweet voice broke the silence. "Are we gonna stay with them?"

   She thought for a second before looking over to the little girl beside her. "Maybe for a little while." Nicole offered a gentle smile to her.

   "Ma'am," Jess announced his presence while he held a blanket and a pillow. "You can take my room."

   Nicole turned around and shook her head, "We can't take your bed."

   "I insist. I can't let a woman and a lil' girl sleep on that horrible couch while I have a perfect bed to myself."

   She just nodded. "Mister, thank you so much for your generosity."

   Jess gave her confirming nod, before laying the pillow and blanket on the couch. As if on cue, Chey yawned in exhaustion. "C'mon. Let's get to bed."

   Nicole and Cheyanne got up from their seats. Nicole grabbed their bags and her baseball bat. "Second door, to the left," Jess affirmed. Nicole gave a nod as thanks before turning the too small hallway. Daryl shut it door as they did. The two walked toward the bedroom.

   They got inside and Cheyanne immediately flopped on the bed. Nicole sighed and walked over to her little girl. She pulled off her tennis shoes, placing them on the ground beside her. Her dirty hands pulled a blanket over Cheyanne before she walked around and sat down.

   How'd we get here? She wondered. Nicole sighed as she unlaced her shoes. She slid her bag over to her feet and pulled out her small pocket knife. She flipped it open and placed it under her pillow.

   Nicole wasn't one to trust easily. She hadn't for a long time -- not since she buried her past. She wanted to be safe rather than sorry. All she wanted to do was protect her little girl.

   And she'd do anything to do it.