21.

Nicole was so tired. She was tired of losing people. She was tired of losing the places she thought was safe. She was just tired in general. As the group drove away from the explosion at the CDC, Nicole felt a tear slip from her eye. It was for Jacqui. Her friend. The two may not have been close, but they cared about each other.

   Engrossed in her thoughts, Nicole flinched when she heard Daryl's radio click on. She didn't realize how long she had zoned out. The group wasn't even in the city anymore.

   "I see something up ahead," Rick's voice clicked through the receiver. Nicole watched as one by one the cars began to slide to a halt.

   Daryl put his truck in park. "Let's just hope he don't lead us into a deathtrap," Daryl spoke in a bitter tone. "Again."

   "He's doing the best he can," Nicole sighed as she opened the door. Nicole got out and Cheyanne followed. The group walked up to where Rick stood. Nicole saw the gates. She saw the houses. The sign read Wiltshire Estates.

   "We can stay hold for the night. Clear it in the morning," Rick declared as he placed his hands on his hips. "We could build a life here."

   Nicole nodded and glimpsed down her daughter. Cheyanne's tiny hand held onto hers. The group agreed and wandered back to their vehicles to grab a few of their things. Rick, Shane, and Daryl took point as they led the group into the community. Rick chose a house and the three cleared it.

   Everyone piled into the house. They were exhausted after the emotional torture they had gone through. Nicole realized how the night would be coming soon. The group began hunkering down on chairs and couches near the cold fireplace. They got comfortable and began talking.

   Nicole needed to speak to Rick about what Jenner said. "Rick," Nicole whispered. The man turned to his name. "C'mere." Nicole walked outside onto the porch and Rick followed, shutting the door behind him.

   "Are we going to tell them?" Nicole whispered. "I mean, we don't know if it's true or not."

   Rick sighed and rubbed his eyes. "I don't know," he breathed.

   Nicole sighed and shifted her weight to her left side. "We don't have to. I mean, that man was crazy. He could've been lying. Trying to scare us into regretting our decision."

   "What if he wasn't?" Rick suggested the alternative. "What if he was right? What if we do all turn no matter how we die?"

   "We don't know that for sure though." Nicole ran her hands through the loose strands of her braid.

    "Should we tell them?" Rick inquired. He didn't know what to do.

   "It comes down to these options," Nicole began. "Tell them the truth and scare them to death if it's not true or them find out themselves and it is true then they be mad at us."

   "I'd rather not tell them," Rick sighed, "At least until we know for absolute sure."

   Nicole nodded. "Okay. We keep it between us until we know," Nicole agreed. "I'll back you up no matter what."

   "Thank you," Rick uttered. The two of them turned back and went into the house. Some of the group had managed to find some blankets and were all settling down. Others had moved up to the bedrooms upstairs. Only people down in the living room was Daryl, Cheyanne, T-Dog, Dale, and Andrea.

   Rick and Nicole parted ways. Rick went up the stairs to find his family and Nicole moved over to where Cheyanne laid passed out on the floor. She had a blanket encased around her so tight that she looked like a cocoon. Nicole chuckled softly. Andrea took the couch and Dale and T-Dog slept on the recliners. Daryl occupied the window seat, carving small lines into the wood.