22.

Blood is thicker than water is often misinterpreted. It suggests that family bonds were strongest when made by genes -- genetics and DNA. It suggested that the people you grow close to who are outside of your family tree will never be that. Blood is thicker than water is true literally; but, figuratively it was a lie.

The full truth -- the full saying -- perceived a completely different meaning. "The blood of the covenant is thicker than the water of the womb". The complete truth reveals that soldiers that shed blood together form stronger bonds together than simple genetics did.

Nicole knew that this was the truth. Blood family never had her back. They never would have risked their lives to save hers. These people -- Daryl, Rick, Dale, Lori, Carl, Sophia, Glenn, T-Dog, Shane and Andrea -- weren't her friends. They were her family. Nicole knew that she would die for them. She knew that she would risk her own life to save any of theirs if it meant that they would be okay.

They were in for a journey. 125 miles of hard road to Fort Benning. That was their new goal. Nicole knew it would be daunting. It was probably going to be one of the hardest tasks they would ever do. 125 miles. That's what lied ahead.

Nicole watched as Daryl and T-Dog siphoned gas from the van, Shane's Jeep and Daryl's pickup. Daryl had decided that he was going to ride Merle's motorcycle because it was bountiful on gas. Everyone started to pack into their vehicles. They were ready for this.

Daryl pulled up beside Nicole, asking if she wanted to ride with him. Cheyanne was inside the RV, playing cards with Glenn. Nicole trusted him. She trusted the people inside of it and hopped onto the back of Daryl's bike.

"Let's saddle up!" Dale called out to Shane. Daryl drove in front of the caravan as each of the other vehicles started. Daryl revved his bike and they began their trek away from the Atlanta city.

Nicole's arms wrapped tightly around Daryl's torso. Her backpack bounced with the engine, the cracks and the dip in the road as they sped down the highways. Her infamous bat stuck from the zipper and Daryl's crossbow sat on the end of the motorcycle. Occasionally it would hit her in the ass, but she ignored it most of the time.

"Why're you holding on so tight?!" Daryl called out from over the sound of the engine.

"I don't know! I'm nervous!" She responded.

"Don't be! Let go! I got you!" Daryl let out a chuckle. Nicole felt the vibrations that tingled through his back as he did that. She thought back to the CDC -- to her kinky daydream. Nicole blushed at the thought. She hoped that he couldn't see it out of the corner of his eye.

Nicole shakily removed her hands from his waist and held them up. The cold air whipped through her blonde hair and stung her face. She'd never experienced this type of adrenaline before -- the excitedly scared type. A giant smile crossed Nikki's face as the soared down the roads. She had never felt more alive.

They drove for about thirty minutes. At least that's what Nicole assumed it was. Daryl was the first to spot the wreck up ahead. "Jesus Christ," Nicole whispered as Daryl slowed down his motorcycle. The pair began weaving through the vehicles, trying to find a way through.

Daryl turned around rather quickly. It gave Nicole a heart attack, but she wouldn't tell him that. Nicole clutched onto him loosely as they pulled up to Dale's RV window. "You see a way through?" the older man inquired. Daryl glanced back toward the wreckage and the nodded.