19.

Nicole’s heart was beating fast. The sense of hope and joy filled her when she realized they were safe. That they would all be safe. Her body tensed as she watched the monsters start getting to get to close for comfort.

    “C’mon, let’s get inside!” Shane yelled, waving in the group. His shotgun sat at his side, but his finger was on the trigger.

    Everyone flooded inside. Nicole held her bat high, ready to start swinging if necessary. She saw Daryl to her left, warily aiming the gun toward the door. “Close the door. Watch for walkers,” Dale told him.

    “Hello?” Rick called out. The building echoed. Everyone was on edge. Then the sound of a gun cocked. Nicole whipped out her gun, aiming it toward the sound. Cheyanne had her head buried in her mother’s side; Daryl slowly walked up beside her.

    “Anybody infected?” A male voice shouted from the shadows.

    “One of our group was. He didn’t make it,” Rick told him the truth.

    The man showed himself. He held an assault rifle. The sight alone made Nicole tense and try to shield her little girl. “Why are you here? What do you want?” The man asked.

    “A chance,” Rick said.

    “That’s asking an awful lot these days,”

    “I know.”

    The man glanced around the ragtag group of survivors. He took note at the diversity -- age, race, etc. It had been so long since he had even talked to another human being. “You all submit to a blood test. That’s the price of admission,” He told them.

    Nicole took a quivered breath as she lowered her gun slowly. “We can do that,” Rick said.

    The man completely lowered his weapon and replied, “If you’ve got stuff to bring in, you do it now. Once this door closes, it stays closed.”

    “Be right back,” Daryl said as he nudged Nicole. Rick, Shane, Glenn, and Daryl all ran out to the cars to grab the bags they all had. Dale and T-Dog waited at the doors for them.

    “Are we safe, mama?” Nicole heard Cheyanne ask from below. Nicole didn’t say anything. She just nodded and waited in an antsy manner for the men to get back.

    The group of four all ran back inside and Dale and T shut the doors. Daryl handed Nicole her backpack. She swung it on as the doctor man swiped a card and told someone to seal the entrance and cut the power.

    Nicole watched as the shutters closed. She liked the security but she didn’t like the idea of being locked inside of this place. If something was to happen, it would be horrible to get out of.

    Rick introduced himself and the man returned it. “Dr. Edwin Jenner.”

    “Let’s head down,” Dr. Jenner said.

    Rick began introducing everyone to him. The Doctor met the tired eyes of each survivor as Rick did so. The reached an elevator and piled in. Nicole was all but pressed against the wall beside Daryl, who held his shotgun close to her face.

    “Doctors always go around packing heat like that?” Daryl asked as he observed the man. Nicole knew that he didn’t really trust him. Hell, she didn’t either, but she took the consideration that he let them in.