05.

Jess was getting bad. He sat in the middle of Daryl and Nicole, who had Cheyanne in her lap. Cold chills continuously shot through his bones as his temperature rose. Nicole could feel it as it radiated from his clammy skin.

   Nicole's green eyes glanced over to the man as he clutched his bandage. His injury leaked out blood which seeped through the fabric. Nicole sighed before stroking Cheyanne's curly brown hair as she slept.

   Cheyanne hadn't slept since Jess got bitten two days ago -- since she shot her first walker. Nicole wished that she didn't have to experience this so early in her life. She wished that the world hadn't changed at all.

   "Daryl, we need to pull over," Nicole stated as she glanced down to Jess' arm. Daryl grunted in response and started to slow down the vehicle. He shifted it into park, immediately jumping out. He grabbed his crossbow from the back of the worn-blue vehicle.

   Daryl walked around to the passenger side and opened the door. Nicole got out, holding her sleeping little girl. Jess started to creep out. His bones creaked with the movement of his joints. They felt like glass. They ached. He just wanted it to stop.

   Once Jess managed to get out and stand, Nicole laid Cheyanne in the seats. Jess was struggling to cling to the side of the vehicle. "I need to change your bandage, Jess." Nicole's voice was quiet as she took his arm.

   "Nikki," Jess croaked out. "I ain't gonna make it." His blue eyes glazed over with tears as if he had just come to that realization. "Just leave me here with a single bullet and a gun."

   "We're not doing that." Daryl stormed over. "I ain't losin' you too, Jess."

   "You can't avoid it, son," Jess sighed while he placed his arm over his bloody bandage.

   Daryl's eyes glossed over as he fought back the tears. "You can't do it yourself." Jess looked up to his nephew.

   "I can't let one of y'all do it." Jess' hand went to his gun, which he had tucked into the back of his pants. He unloaded the clip taking out 4 of the 5 bullets and giving them to Daryl. "I won't be needing these."

   Jess clutched the side of the truck. "I am going to go sit by that tree," he uttered out as he pushed himself up. "And Y'all are gonna leave. I need to do this."

   "Jess..." Daryl's voice cracked.

   Jess looked over to Daryl, placing his clammy hand on his shoulder. Their eyes met and the hurt radiated from them. Nicole stood there with her arms crossed while fighting back her tears. Jess embraced his nephew and whispered something to him. When the boys separated, Jess turned to face Nicole. "Take care of my nephew, Nikki."

   Nicole nodded as tears flooded her eyes. She couldn't believe she was losing a friend -- that she was losing someone she was supposed to help protect. All she wanted to do at that moment was rewind time to the exact moment he had gotten bit.

   The bitten man faced the forest with a sigh before he started to hobble toward it. Daryl stormed around to the driver seat and slammed his door shut. Nicole inhaled while clearing her teary throat. She sniffled and wiped her nose as she turned to go back to the passenger side.

   Cheyanne had woken up and was clutching her knees in the middle of the seats. Tears were streaming down the young girls face. Nicole slid into the passenger seat and closed it. Once the latch clicked shut, a gunshot rang through the atmosphere. Nicole jumped at the sudden sound; tears slipped from her green eyes.

   Daryl took a sigh, clearing his throat. He shifted the gears and slammed on the gas pedal. The broken trio sat in silence as they drove farther and farther away from their beloved friend.