Chapter 3: Diagon Alley

Harry felt like he was pulled and squeezed into a tube, only to be spitted out. When he had finally landed, his stomach and his head were spinning furiously. He suddenly felt a warm hand rubbing circles on his stomach, the other gently massaging his temples. Sure enough, Harry got better and stood up. He didn't realize he had been sitting the whole time.

Harry looked up and was immediately met by a pair of worried obsidian eyes. He smiled slightly to assure Severus that he was fine.

Snape nodded and, stepping aside, he spoke:

- Welcome to Diagon Alley.

It was the most fascinating sight Harry had ever seen. The shops, the things outside them, and the people on the street,...all were both peculiar and familiar to him. He didn't know why, but he had a feeling that he had seen this before.

He followed Severus through the crowd, marvelling at the things around him. Windows stacked with swaying piles of books, quills and rolls of parchments, jars of eels' eyes and snake-like scales were set neatly on a ledge outside a shop's window, strange silvery equipments Harry had never seen before, and cauldrons of all sizes sat shimmering under the sun...

- Gringotts. - Snape said.

Harry looked up just to see a snowy white building towering over the little shops. Standing beside the heavy burnished bronze doors were two strange creatures wearing scarlet and gold uniforms.

- They are goblins. - Severus informed. - They are a branch of magical creatures descended from elves. They are regressed in form, but more cunning and wicked in nature. Goblins, unlike witches and wizards, can do magic without the aid of a wand. Make sure to remember not to rob from a goblin, as that "deed" of yours will bring dire consequences.

Harry gulped. He nervously observed the elf-like creatures. They had swarthy faces and pointed beards. Their fingers and feet were long with sharp fingernails. They bowed as they walked inside. The pair faced another pair of doors, siver this time, with words engraved upon them:

ENTER, STRANGER, BUT TAKE HEED
OF WHAT AWAITS THE SIN OF GREED,
FOR THOSE WHO TAKE, BUT DO NOT EARN,
MUST PAY MOST DEARLY IN THEIR TURN,
SO IF YOU SEEK BENEATH OUR FLOORS
A TREASURE THAT WAS NEVER YOURS,
THIEF, YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED, BEWARE
OF FINDING MORE THAN TREASURE THERE.

Severus threw a meaningful look at Harry, to which he anxiously blinked in confirm.

Another pair of goblins bowed them through the doors and they found themselves in a vast marble hall. Numerous goblins were sitting on high stools behind the counters, scribbling, weighing coins, examining gems,... There were countless doors leading to who knows where, and many more goblins were showing people in and out. The two made their way to the counter.

- Good evening. - said Severus in a strange language.

- Good evening, professor Snape. What can I do for you?

- I want access to the Potter's safe. I'm taking their child for some shopping, you see.

- He's the other one, I presume. Well then, do you have his key, sir?

Snape pulled out a tiny golden key from his robe pocket and placed it on the counter. The goblin looked at it closely.

- It is appropriate enough. Do you want to go there yourself or...?

- I would prefer the other way.

- Yes, of course. How much do you want to take?

Snape turned to Harry:

- Do you want to decide for yourself, Harry?

He immediately answered:

- No, I would rather you do that for me. I don't know anything about this and I don't want to waste my assets on anything I deem unecessary. You can tell me how this world works later.