Chapter 12: Dawn

Severus put a hand on Hadrian's cheek, stroking gently. Knowing the storm of thoughts that was swirling inside of Hadrian's head, he kept silent, waiting for the boy to make the first move. Alas, Hadrian looked up, his eyes had dried, and his emotions had quietened down.

Severus carefully approached the boy:

- Are you alright now?

Hadrian nodded his head in reply. He wasn't feel like talking. His throat was sore and he had a feeling he would burst into tears if he opened his mouth.

Severus smiled lightly and awkwardly patted Hadrian's back. He wasn't a man of emotions, and he was often mistaken as a proud person. Not that he wanted to distance himself from other fellow wizards and witches, he wasn't that "high and mighty". It was his unfortunate childhood that had created this uncommunicative nature of his.

As such, his caring actions might seem peculiar to some. But to Hadrian, they were the most genuine gestures he had ever received. He hesitated for a moment, then he suddenly threw his hands around Snape, his head buried in his neck. He said quietly in a sad voice:

- Thank you.

Hadrian was indeed thankful that Snape had woken up. He was the one that had rescued him from the hands of his gruesome relatives. He was also the one who gave him shelter, kindness, and protection. He even gave him a new family, and a new friend. With all of those actions, Hadrian had considered him as his father, though he would never tell Snape that.

Severus was taken aback by Hadrian's sudden action. He had never thought the boy would act freely around him that quick. The boy did behave cautiously around him a while before. But he really enjoyed this little surprise anyways.

For a while, two people were seemingly lost in their own thoughts and completely forgot another person who was also in the room. Lucius, seeing that no one would remember him any time soon, cleared his throat:

- I apologize for interrupting your..reunion, but I must inform you that we cannot stay here any longer. The Ministry had heard about Hadrian's awakening and they will arrive shortly. We must apparate. Now.

With one look at each other, Hadrian and Severus quickly sprang to their feet and followed Lucius to the apparition platform he had set while waiting for Severus to wake up.

Lucius instructed them how the platform worked. It was very easy, they just had to say "Homenum Transporta", picture where they wanted to be, step on the platform, apparate, and vòila, they would appear right there, unharmed, safe and sound.

As they didn't have much time left, the trio dashed onto the platform. Lucius quickly pulled out his wand and quietly mumbled the spell. The platform slowly lit up and a column of bright white light shot to the sky, causing much chaos to the tenants at the Leaky Cauldron. People ran out to the streets and started casting spells and charms, while some tried to alert the Ministry. That wasn't neccessary as a group of Aurors arrived shortly after. Surprisingly, James Potter was a part of the troupe.

James swiftly pulled out his wand and motioned others to follow him. They rushed inside and immediately appeared right outside the room where Hadrian, Severus and Lucius had been. James waited for one second and bursted into the room, shouting:

- Incarcerous!!!

The spell shot out from his wand and, unfortunately, hit the wall. There was no one inside, not even a single strand of hair to show them that someone had been there. James angrily slammed his fist on the nearby table:

- Damn it!!! We're late!!!

The other Aurors took a step back, not wanting to be blamed. No one wished to endure their captain's rage, or his superior, Dumbledore. They never really respected James even though he was the best dueler in the Ministry. He was too arrogant, hot-tempered, and irrational. Nothing from him had ensured his role as a leader.