Chapter 6: Dream

※ Warning: descriptions of abuse

~~~

Utter silence filled the room when Severus finished. Harry's story had horrified Lucius and Narcissa, leaving them speechless. They couldn't believe how malignant the treatment those mediocre Muggles had given to the poor boy. Lucius solemnly looked at Severus:

- What are you going to do, Sev? This is most likely the doings of that manipulative coot.

- "Most likely"? I'm completely sure that this is his 'masterpiece'. - Snape growled, - However, I don't know what he is up to, nor what is Harry's place in his plan.

For once in his life, Severus revealed a more vulnerable side of himself. He tiredly slumped deep into his chair, his face paler than usual. He pursed his lips and furrowed his brows.

Lucius curiously asked him:

- Severus, I really want to ask you something from the moment you set foot in here: why are you protecting the Potter boy? Were you not on good terms with his father?

Severus grew silent at Lucius' question. He stared into space before answering:

- I don't know, Lucius, I really don't know what is going on inside my head. I just had a feeling, a familiar feeling when I look at him. He feels like...home.

Severus woefully looked down at his hands. They were abnormally pale due to numerous potion's testings. However, they were long and elegant, and, strangely, soft. He opened and closed his hands several times:

- Ever since I met him, I always had a feeling that I was missing something very important, something that is priceless to me, but I cannot bring myself to try and remember. It seems as though something is blocking my desire to search deeper into this.

He sighed helplessly and looked at Lucius and Narcissa:

- I think that the truth behind this will be very scandalous. As such, I ask for your help. Both of you. I cannot do this alone, not anymore. I sense that this is not only about me, but about something much, much bigger than I had expected when I first took Harry in. So, can you help me?

They looked at him before Narcissa broke the silence:

- Do you know how long we had waited for you to say this? Of course we will help you, we are your friends, after all.

She leaned towards Severus and warmly held his hands:

- We will be more than happy to accompany you on this 'quest'. We don't want you to do this alone any longer. We both had our scars and wounds, so it is vital that we look after each other, as true Slytherins do.

Snape smirked a bit, remembering the old times at school. He said lightly:

-You sounded just like when we were at school. When I was bullied by the Marauders, you and Lucius were the first to stand up to protect me. I still remember some of Lucius' pranks on the Marauders, they were wicked. - He chuckled a bit.

Lucius smiled:

- Well, you know what we used to say-

- "Slytherins look after their own."

The three said together and laughed. It was fun, those carefree days. All they need to do was learning, pranking, and having fun. They sat still, lingering in the sweet moment they rarely had for years. They were too busy to survive that they had momentarily forgotten how to enjoy life. Narcissa smiled:

- I had to admit, it was fun. Oh, how I missed those times... It was only several years and yet, it seemed like a century had passed.

- You can be surprised at how fast time flows. - Lucius said, - But now, let's get back to our problem. What shall we do first?