Bev > 💕

I admired her from across the classroom.

Eyes of crystal blue, hair of spring flowers. She is the most beautiful girl I’ve ever seen.

I could look at her all day. I could gaze at her fiery locks and beautiful pale skin until the sun drops.

I could admire each and every freckle on her body until the moon settled into the sky.

I could cherish her beautiful eyes until the sun rose to the surface of the earth, creating a soft glow. Yet no glow, no matter how soft or how subtle, could compare to her face on a warm day.

She turned, catching my eyes. Before I stoutly turned away, she winked. I felt my face burn cerise. I touched my cheek, feeling heat rising to the surface.

As the teacher droned on and on about DNA and the splitting of chromosomes, the words of Stevie Nicks rang through my mind.

Something's happening
Happening to me
My friends say I'm acting peculiarly
C'mon baby
We better make a start
You better make it soon before you break my heart
Oh I
I want to be with you everywhere
Oh I
I want to be with you everywhere

And it was true. I wanted to hold her hand and walk down Harris street. I wanted to kiss her in the park. I wanted to fall asleep with her head in my lap during a sleepover at my house. I wanted to hand her mixtapes at her locker. I wanted to make her feel love like she had never known. I wanted to make her feel as if the sun rose just for her and I. That I created the sun, just for her. That flowers bloomed and the ocean tides waved just for her to admire.

I look at this woman. This divine creation of beauty. I couldn’t help but imagine how my hand would feel in hers. The warm sensation of her fingers interlocked with mine. I felt my face still burning. I tried to control my blush, but I just couldn’t.

I packed up my things, ready for the school day to be over. The bell rang, dismissing the students. A note fell over my books. I looked up to see Beverly, holding tightly onto her book bag straps, looking over her shoulder at me as walked out the door. She winked before she crossed the doorway.

I smiled, picking up the note. Meet me at the West entrance.

In her pretty hand writing was her name:

Beverly

When my things were in my bag, I rushed down to the West entrance. When I arrived, I saw her standing against the wall. “Hey girlie.” She smiled. Her words forced a smile into my face.

“Hey Bev.” “So, are we on for a sleepover for tonight?” I had forgotten it was Friday. Beverly could do that. She could make me forget what time it was, the year, even the day. I focused every ounce of my being toward her, no room left in me for anything or anyone else.

“Of course.” The smile was etched in my face. “Let’s go.” She smiled back. We made our way to my house, making small talk. My hands grew clammy next to her, causing me to rub the sweat away against my jeans.

When we arrived at my home we went straight up to my room. She sat her book bag next to my bed. She pulled out a folder of homework and set it on my bed. “Ready for this?” I looked at the biology notes. Oh boy…

We fell onto my bed on our backs. “Movie night?” Bev asked, turning her head to look into my eyes. “Yes!” We raced down the stairs. She picked out the movie while I made popcorn.

“Do you have any comfortable clothes I can wear?” Beverly leaned against the door frame. I blinked blankly at her a few times,”Uh-uh-yeah.” “Thanks.” She smiled, nodding slightly. She scurried up the stairs.