Chapter dix

I bounced my head to the tune in the car, some random rock song. Me and Luke were in the back. In my peripheral I saw him with his Sudoku puzzle ripped out of some book he had. He was using a pencil he had found in his hair. I decided to not tease him for that.

Summer was the one driving because Xav was somewhere in another world. We were headed to some café to chill for the night. Are usual of course. Suddenly we took a sharp turn. My eyes flew open from there previous closed state.

Memory's flashed behind my eyes as summer yelled "WATCH WHERE YOUR GOING GRANDMA!" Xavier's head rammed into the window and he groaned. I went tumbling over and landed on Luke's lap.

Yes a lap. Something warm. Not icy cold like the water. Something that wasn't sinking, I wasn't sinking. Strong arms went around me and rubbed my shoulders.

"Hey Pierce your okay. I'm right here. Everyone's okay." Luke soothed me and after what seemed like forever I opened my eyes which were previously squeezed shut. Luke's light hazel eyes stared deep into mine and I quickly shoved off his lap.

I went back to my seat and felt his eyes boring into the side of my head. Summer and Xavier were yelling at each other like an old married couple. I couldn't help but smile at them as I forced all my thoughts that were attempting to claw there way back up to the back of my head.

Out of the corner of my eyes I watched Luke's mouth open, close, open and then proceed to close again. Luke was my best friend and on of the few who knew about my past. Finally his pointer finger came up, I shook my head but he persisted.

I sighed and finally put my finger up so the tip connected with his. 'Idiot' I muttered.

"E.T makes everything better."

"Your such a nerd." He just grinned at me.

"Were here bitches!" I rolled my eyes and we all hopped out of the car. The small café sat there in all its glory and we headed in that direction.

"Bet ten dollars you won't sing a song and get ten dollars as tips." I stared at her eyes narrowed. I put a few pieces together from her half mischievous and half determined eyes.

"Were all broke aren't we."

"Unless you brought money which judging by the finess in which you hopped in the car I'm guessing you didn't." I Sighed. I looked at the corner where there was a man with a guitar tuning it.

I looked between the guy and my friends who looked half desperate and half amused as I blew some hair out of my face and strut towards the man.

"I GET TO PICK THE SONG" I yelled back and they followed as I went to the man dressed in tan khakis and a black athletics shirt.

"Sir may I use your guitar for like ten minutes." He looks up surprised.

"Well little lady I am all for young talents but it isn't tuned." He sounded friendly enough so I shrugged.

"It will do." He frowned then look at his guitar then me then he grinned and handed it over.

I thanked him and turned to look at my friends who were all grinning like the Cheshire cat. I frowned before grinning and started to play. There only mistake: Letting me pick the song. I nodded my head to the guitar before starting.

"I was riding shotgun with my hair undone in the front seat of his car, He's got a one-hand feel on the steering wheel, The other on my heart, I look around, turn the radio down, he says, "baby is something wrong?"
I say "nothing, I was just thinking how we don't have a song, "
And he says,"

I hear all my friends groan in the back round but I ignore them. I had learned guitar a age 7.

"Our song is a slamming screen door. Sneaking out late tapping on your window, when we're on the phone and you talk real slow, 'Cause it's late and your mama don't know,
Our song is the way you laugh, the first date man I didn't kiss her when I should have,
And when I got home, before I said amen, asking God if He could play it again."

I play the little riff of one of gods best creations. "Our song-Taylor Swift" Oh yes indeed there was no better song than that. I continued to sing and dance and play the guitar and I watched as a hat that had been previously on Xavier's head filled up.

Soon enough the song was over and we took our money and went into the café to get some coffee. I hear a few whistles and cheers as I went and I bowed.

As we sat, drank and ate I finally opened my phone to read my latest text from Hunter. Shit sticks.

"Hey guys I have to get home." I got up and slid out of the booth but Summer's hand on my wrist stopped me.

"You need a ride." I shook my head.

"Na one is coming I will just wait around the corner." They bid their farewells. I wasn't quite ready to tell them that I was afraid that some broody man was going to come in and pick me up all cave man style and second.

I went outside and around the corner and waited for his truck to pull up. I had no doubt he was on his way. I saw the man from earlier playing his guitar and I stopped on the side of an alley to wait and listen.

I saw head light and turned to look out the street. Was that his truck... "OW DAD LET GO." I turned and saw a hulky man with a vice grip around a ten-ish year old boy. I watched as the father turned and hit him hard and square in the mouth.

The boy's head snapped back. Blood dripped from the corners of his mouth and I felt anger bubbled inside of me. Parents hitting children was a major go suck a dick in my books as I hoped it was for everyone.

"GET YOUR HANDS OFF HIM!" I yell and stalk towards where they are lurking at the end of the alley. The mans hollow square face turns up and shoots dagger at me.

"Mind your own god dam business." He seethed. I glared back at him and looked at the boy. His had a black eye and I saw bruises disappearing down the collar of his shirt.

"Let him go." I seethed right back.

"You're the same size as my son. It isn't good for cute little girls like yourself to be out late at night, something could happen." His eyes looked at me up and down like a snake and I felt like throwing up.

"Shut the fuck up before I get pissed. It is fucking illegal to abuse kids so I suggest your let him go or get arrested." He actually fucking laughed.

"Stupid little girl." I gone close enough now that I could smell the liquor on his breath and could see the boy visibly shaking.

"Stupid old man." His strike came fast a smack to the face. I was faster though and ducked and set up my arms ready for a fight when suddenly his eyes went wide in... fear.

Was he that impressed I had dodged his punch or...

"Lay a fucking figure on her and I will beat you until you are stuck to the pavement." Ooohhhhh you see that made a lot ore sense. I felt his steel frame behind me and took comfort in it that was until he leaned down to my ear.

"When we get home you are in for it." I swallowed and then watched as he went to the man and kid and quickly separated them. Cops were called at some point but there wasn't much we could do because the boy 'James' wouldn't speak.

Soon I was sitting in his car waiting to be taken to home. Gods this wasn't gonna end well.