All in a night's work

Pack style as Carter put it would be an accurate description of how we were sleeping. All piled on top of each other on the one king sized bed in the one bedroom. The creaky frame was about to give out any second but Luke didn't seem to mind as he wiggled around trying to find a comfy position to sleep. 

It must have been the middle of the night. Everyone was asleep accept me. I quietly got up and went into the kitchen for some water. For dinner we had eaten a loaf of bread some cheese and crackers. My throat was dry. 

The faucet in the kitchen proved not useful seeing as it didn't turn on. Dammit. Only Carter would think going to some cabin in the woods for an over night trip is fun. Outside there was a-

"Mavi." I jumped a foot in the air. 

"Why are you so quiet." 

"You need to sleep." He was standing at the threshold all straight back and sharp eyes.

"Were you even asleep."

"I waiting for you to sleep first." 

"Why?" 

"I'm your body guard." 

"Well consider your self off duty." 

"I won't consider myself anything unless I know your'e completely safe." I waved him off.

"I'm going to go for a walk." I almost made it to the door before his hand went under my arms. He picked me up and turned us around to walk towards the living room. I felt a pang in my stomach from where the bandages were. 

"Hunter." 

"You need to sleep. You didn't last night." I didn't. But I wasn't sleepy. Nor do I think I could stomach whatever my dreams had in store for me. We got to the red faded couch and he plopped himself down me still entail. 

Hunter was laying on the couch and I was laying on Hunter. 

"Hunter let me just-" 

"Please just sleep." I felt stiff and uncomfortable. Like a wooden board on top of a warm fridge. And there we lay. Every now and then I would glance up to see if he was sleeping but his eyes were focused on the ceiling. Obviously were both not gonna sleep.

"Do you have any family." I'm not sure what possessed me to ask but I can't say I'm not curious.

"Just my mom and dad." 

"No siblings?" 

"I used to have a sister." Even though I'm laying here staring at the living room with my head on his chest I can see the line. The line we have been oh so carefully dancing on.  So his sister is dead. That doesn't involve me so no need to get involved.

"Used to?" God fucking dammit. Mavison what the hell, not cool. Also not what we agreed to. What happened to not gonna ask. No no you just do what you want Mavison, screw the line. Who cares about the line just some dumb stupid imaginary line. 

"She killed her self." His voice is so soft he nearly breaths the words but I hear them. This is why I don't ask people about them selves because when things get sad I don't know how to comfort them. 

"Don't get all sad on me Pierce. Just life." Suddenly I'm reminded of the day when I went to the prison. When I freaked out. Those eyes he had stared at me with. Did he think I was suicidal. Jesus didn't I make some comment about killing myself, I'm a jerk. 

"I'm not gonna kill myself." He still's under me. What kinda sappy shit just came out of your mouth Mav. 

"Okay." My head jolted up so I could look at him in the eye.