Let's Laugh

Percy groaned as he walked through the flap of fabric that was the tent's entrance. "How do you deal with those girls?"

Artemis, who was flipping through reports of monster sightings from demigods, nature spirits and satyrs on the ground, barely spared him a glance. "They start out afraid of me until I earn their respect. You, they started out hating you until you earned their respect. Not only that, but they know how laid-back you are. They'll take advantage of that."

"I hate how logical you are," Percy sighed, falling back onto the bed shoved against the side of the tent. "Remind me why I was taking care of the girls today?"

"Because you offered," Artemis simply replied. "If you hadn't I wouldn't have made you." She heard Percy's groan again and chuckled. "You should've known better."

"Why didn't you stop me?" Percy sighed, tilting his head back and closing his eyes.

Artemis snorted. "Why would I stop you from doing my work for me?"

"Because you're a nice person?"

Artemis smirked. "You really believe that?"

"No," Percy muttered under his breath, then said louder: "I hate you sometimes, you know that?"

"I do," Artemis answered, pushing the reports away. She wouldn't be getting any more done with Percy in here. "Though I can't imagine why."

"I'm sure you can't," Percy grumbled. Artemis laughed and moved so she was sitting on the edge of the bed beside him. "Asshole."

"Name calling? I thought you were more mature than that," Artemis taunted. Percy swatted her arm lazily. "Come on, face me like a woman, won't you?"

"You do know that the phrase is 'like a man?'" Percy murmured.

"I do, but men are cowards. Women, on the other hand, are courageous." Artemis was oblivious to the sly grin growing on Percy's face.

"You know, I think I will." Artemis felt him grip her arm and tug her down onto the mattress. She shrieked in surprise when Percy rolled on top of her and began to tickle her.

"Stop it!" She gasped between breaths, curling in on herself in an attempt to stop the assault. "Mercy! Mercy!"

"You said yourself that you aren't a nice person," Percy said smugly. "Why should I be nice if you aren't?"

"Please!" Artemis panted, frantically trying to come up with a reasonable retort. "You couldn't be mean if you tried!"

"Oh, you really want to challenge that?" Percy smirked. "You're on!" With that, he stopped his attack and dropped his full weight onto her small form, a grunt coming from her as he flopped down.

"Percy," Artemis huffed. "You're - too heavy for this. Get - get off."

"I don't think so," Percy replied. "I'm comfortable here." He nuzzled his face into her chest, his arms locking around her neck. He sighed in content. He wasn't lying when he said he was comfortable, despite the original purpose of this being to get back at her.

Artemis couldn't lie when she agreed that this was, in fact, quite comfortable. She shifted the best she could so that her head was propped up against the pillows and ran her fingers through Percy's messy hair, unravelling any tangles she came across. The feeling of her fingers in his hair and her chest rising and falling evenly slowly lulled him into a light doze.

Artemis smiled softly, eyes shining with affection as she softly kissed the top of his head. She let her lips linger for a moment before pulling away.

He might be an idiot sometimes, but he was her idiot.