Reconciliation

I'm sorry, but I've had a busy few days. Tuesday we went to check out a house we'll most likely be moving into; Wednesday I had an academic team competition and was at school for twelve hours straight; Thursday I had a project that I didn't finish until nine thirty at night. Oh, and I changed Percy's coat colour from a dark brown to a sort of red roan for those keeping up with updates.

Artemis was curled up on her bed, tears leaking from her eyes. She had made a mistake. A horrible one that might have just cost her closest friend. Her pride had gotten the better of her, and though there was a deeper, better reason, she knew that that didn't matter.

Artemis lay on the ground, the manticore poised over her ready to strike. The tail was twitching in anticipation as it smirked and her and lashed out. A large red form flew over her and tackled the monster before it could stab her, just barely missing the stinger and wrestling the beast to the ground.

She had yelled at him, cursing him for being so stupid when, in reality, he was just loyal. Protective. She had went off on him over something he had done for her.

"How could you have been so stupid! You could've been killed! The manticore might've gotten you, or my hunters after it was dead!" Artemis screamed.

"You think I don't know that!" Percy shouted. "I know! I couldn't just let you die!"

"I'm a goddess, you dumbass! I would've reformed!"

"And I wouldn't?" Percy shot back. "I'm still a monster. I'll reform, just like you."

"What of my hunters, then? If they saw me being friendly with a male?"

"You care more about being seen with me than actually being a friend to me, is that what this is?" He growled. "Fine, then. If all I am to you is a boy, I'll just leave."

She curled her hands into fists, clutching at the bedsheets. A choked sob got caught in her throat and she buried her face deeper into the mattress to hide it.

"Percy, wait!"

Would he come back?

"Please!"

Doubtful. He was a man of his word.

She learned later that she was wrong. The next morning, after cleaning herself up, she heard a commotion outside. She could hear words being thrown back and forth. Focusing, the first words she made out were: "You can't keep me from her!" Percy. That was Percy's voice.

"You are a monster asking to see our mistress. Do you think we are dumb enough to let thou?" Zoë snapped back in such a tone that Artemis had no doubt there was a sneer upon her face.

"I just want an audience! I mean her no harm!" Percy barked back. Artemis knew that if she waited much longer he would end up as dust and decided to intervene before that happened.

"What is going on?" She demanded as she stepped out of her tent, head held high. Her hunters turned to look at her, slowly stepping aside until Percy was revealed to her. Her facade flickered as she looked at him. He was still in his wolf form, the red roan fur waving in a hypnotizing way. His yellow eyes softened when he saw her, the snarl on his lips dying down. They just stared at each other, taking it in.

"M'lady?" Zoë asked cautiously. "He was asking to see thee."

Artemis didn't answer but the voice shook her out of her frozen state. Percy began to pad forward, warily watching the hunters, but Artemis had no such restraints. She bolted forward, crashing into his chest and throwing her arms around his large neck. Percy huffed as she slammed into him but wrapped a paw around her back, tucking his head over her shoulder so she was encased in his warmth. "You came back," she muttered quietly, his ears the only ones that picked it up.

Percy noticed the hunters staring awestruck at the scene before them but pushed them out. "I couldn't stay away."

"I'm sorry," she murmured, tears wetting his fur. "I'm so sorry. I didn't mean any of it."

"I know," Percy answered. "You were worried. I understand."

"So you forgive me?"

"How could I not?" Percy adjusted slightly, shrinking back into his human form. "You're the only thing I have."

Artemis nuzzled her face into his shoulder, squeezing her eyes shut. "Love you."

Percy was silent. She could just be hazy and unaware in her tears but Artemis rarely let her conscious be taken like that. Whether it was in a friendly way or not, he knew she meant it. He eyed the hunters suspiciously before replying.

"Love you too."

Alright, hopefully, I can get a second one up. Well, I really should be able to. I have two hours. I'd be a shame if I couldn't.