Girl, Me Too

Figured I'd give a bit of background info on this short. It's set eighteen years after the Gigantomachy. Andrew is a son of Zeus who's gained respect at CHB because of his father and greets Percy when he returns from CJ, indirectly challenging his authority. This is where that takes place.

Percy strolled through the borders of the Greek camp, relishing the sight before him. It had been five years since he'd last been here and although he loved Camp Jupiter, Camp Half-Blood would always be his home. He noticed a few dozen more minor god cabins set up and smiled, happy that his work was being continued even now.

He trotted down the hill, eyes sweeping over the crowds of demigods milling around. He was too busy searching for familiar faces that he failed to notice another demigod approaching from the side.

Percy took notice of him when the demigod was only a few feet away. He turned to look at the boy. His hair was a dirty blonde and his eyes were a familiar electric blue. Surprise, surprise, Zeus has another kid, Percy thought.

The kid narrowed his eyes. "Are you Percy Jackson?"

"Yes," Percy nodded. "And you are?"

The boy puffed out his chest in an almost comical manner. "My name's Andrew Lorin, son of Zeus!" Then he just stood there as if waiting for some sort of reaction. When he received nothing, he looked back at him in confusion. "Well?"

"Am I supposed to be impressed?" Percy raised his eyebrow. "I'm not. I already know two other kids of Zeus. How are you different?"

"You mean Jason and Thalia Grace?" Andrew scoffed. "Jason's a Roman and Thalia's a girl. Weaklings, I say."

Percy's face hardened as he locked onto Andrew's face. "What did you just say?"

"How did you think you were so good of a leader?" Andrew said. "You're a Greek demigod. The Romans and the demigoddesses are just holding us back."

Alright, there would always be people who wanted the Greek/Roman feud to continue and Percy had accepted that. But sexism? That was something he would not stand for. "What makes the demigoddesses weaker than us?"

"They're girls," Andrew said as if that explained everything. "Their place is to raise the warriors, not to be the warriors."

"First of all, were you born in the Medieval times? You do realise exactly how long it's been since that was the case, right?" Percy said. "Second of all, have you seen the girls around here? All the ones I know are fucking badasses."

"Then your definition of a badass must be pretty inaccurate," Andrew sneered. "They aren't fighters."

"Oh, yeah?" Percy said. "Name a demigoddess that doesn't fight."

"Aphrodite girls?" Andrew suggested.

"Anyone else?"

"Hypnos girls."

"Two cabins is all you can get?" Percy laughed. "Wow, that's so many. Do you know how many I can name that can fight? Most of them better than you, I have no doubt."

"Name one," Andrew repeated.

Percy smirked. "To start it off, the huntresses."

"Those bitches?" He said. "If you're referring to Grace, she's weak. She can't even fly."

"I can name many strengths in her, but instead I'll just suggest one huntress I doubt you can find a fault in," Percy said, raising his chin. "Artemis."

"That goddess?" Andrew jeered. "Can she even fight? How would we know? She just hides behind those petty little girls."

"And how would you know she can't?" Percy countered. "You've never seen her fight. I have."

"Yeah? And who did she fight that was so strong?" Andrew said.

"Perhaps Atlas might strike a chord?" Andrew frowned and was silent but didn't seem able to think up a good enough response to counter his.

This boy had better hope Artemis never heard of this.

As I've stated in my last two notes, I'm working on an original novel. It's something that I'm taking very seriously and if you have any criticism for how I could improve, no matter how harsh, I would love to hear it. Your help would be appreciated. Thank you.