Rage

I sit on the bench for several moments almost frozen.  I have hundreds of thoughts going through my head but I don't even know where to begin.  "Do my parents know about all this?"  I ask this question first because if they do they are going to have a lot of explaining to do.   "We don't think your parents are aware, ever since we found out about the hidden laws we have sent scouts to watch the house to see who comes and goes.  For some reason, in your family, it seems the wolf gene skips.  Which is why your eye is half brown half blue like your grandpa's eye was.  When you marry my brother and accept his mark you will also gain another marking."  Hanna showed me her marking on her shoulder blade it was a full moon with a halo of stars all around it.  It was almost like a birth mark but much more defined.  "Why do you have a mark like that but I only have a different color eye?"  "My mark is the symbol of my pack but now that you are aware of your werewolf heritage you will find that you will have a symbol somewhere on your body but it will only present itself when you marry my brother." "Why do you keep saying when I marry your brother?  I don't want to marry your brother he has been nothing but rude to me since the day I met him.  Don't I have another choice?"
              Hanna and Julie again look at each other as if they are having another private conversation, "You do have a right to reject my brother as your mate if you are marked by him, and vice versa but it wouldn't be very beneficial for you to reject him. You would be considered a Lone Wolf. Most lone wolves leave there packs because they don't like to be ruled or governed. I believe human versions of this are Anarchists. A lot of lone wolves band together and every once in a while try to overthrow other packs for territory. They are very much frowned upon, and often imprisoned." "But I'm just barely going to turn into a werewolf I don't know the ways of a wolf or being in a pack, maybe it won't be the same for me." I say trying to find a loophole to this arrangement. "Charlee," Julie speaks this time, "I know this is very overwhelming for you. But you have to understand you have only lived life as a human, but when you shift you will become Wolf and will have totally different instincts. When you marry my brother and you bond, you will have a mental connection to all of us. If you reject Easton you reject the connection to all of us which will make your transition from human to wolf so much harder." I look at her trying to understand the magnitude of her words. "Plus, if you reject Easton, you reject us and why would you ever not want us in your life?!" Julie says trying to lighten the mood. I look at her and laugh. "Why can't I just marry you guys?!" I joke. I sit there for a few moments when another question comes to mind, "Does Easton even want to marry me? What if he rejects me and marries that obnoxious Eve chick." This again causes Julie and Hanna to look at each other. "We were hoping you wouldn't think of that." Hanna starts. "Technically Easton has to marry you because it is written law but you, also, can be challenged for your title." I look at her not knowing how I feel about this information. I don't like Easton enough to fight for him and I don't really care about ruling the world of wolves. Why can't I just go back to being that average girl I was five days ago? "So, let's say that Eve does decide to challenge me, can I let her win and still get to be in your pack?" Julie pales at this question, "Charlee, when you are challenged it will be to the death." "Well that changes things doesn't it?" I say wishing I never asked. "You have an advantage though, you are royalty not only will you be able to hear her thoughts, but you will also be much faster and much stronger than her. The only way she can win is if she cheats or takes advantage if you become distracted." Hanna explains trying to reassure me.

I still have a million questions rolling around in my brain, but they are silenced by someone knocking at the door. Easton walks in seconds later and asks Julie and Hanna to leave the room. Hanna looks at me with a reassuring wink and walks out followed by Julie. "So, have you been informed of everything?" Easton asks me rather impatiently. "Yea, I mean, I guess. I still have a thousand questions about it all, but there's still time to get them answered. Well, hopefully." I stop, as I start thinking about those scouts that almost got me tonight. Easton looks at me trying to figure out how to tell me what he's thinking. "I know you're thinking something Easton, you can just say it you've never tried to play nice before." I snap at him. "Now that you've been informed of everything are you planning on going through with the arrangement?" I look at him and roll my eyes. "If, by arrangement, you mean do I plan on marrying you then I don't know.  I don't even know you and what I do know of you I don't really care for. However, I don't want to be pack-less. I don't want to have to try to figure out how to be a wolf on my own." He balls his fist at me in frustration. "Why must I be bound by written law?!" He questions angrily. I look at him not sure what that means but it makes me angry that he feels he has some sense of obligation for me. "You know I don't get you, you're constantly acting like you want to get rid of me and yet you've already had at least three chances and you stop it every time!" I yell back at him. He narrows his eyes almost into slits as he starts walking toward me, "You think that I just want to help you? I am bound by written law, even if I wanted to just let them dispose of you, for me, I can't I can sense when you are in danger and I have to come to your aid!" I am shocked into silence at his words. I know I shouldn't be but to hear another person, no matter how much of a prick he is, act as if his life would be so much easier if I was dead disgusts me. Rage boils up inside me, rage I've never felt before. Rage from my life being turned upside down in a matter of hours, rage from my grandpa dying without telling anyone any of this, rage from being forced to marry a man I loathe, and mostly rage from that exact man standing before me acting as if my life is less valuable than his. I walk up to him and deck him with as much built up force as I can, and just as I'm about to walk out of the room I swear I see him smile.