Bringing Down the King

We arrive in France 3 hours later and it was by far the longest 3 hours of my life. On the way over we were filled in on what happened. Easton had landed in France because he had intercepted information that the Rogue army was harassing the pack here. As he was driving to the pack's village he was run off the road. He was only being escorted by two of the French guards and they were outnumbered by 20. The two betas were killed after killing 5 of the rogue wolves, but Easton managed to fight off and kill the other 15. I never knew he was that strong, but Alex informed me that he's always been a "badass" and being the King gives him extra strength along with being able to read every wolf's mind. However, being the strongest Wolf in the world still doesn't give you the lead when fighting 15 wolves alone. He was found near death by the French alpha after receiving an SOS call from Easton right before he collapsed.

Arriving at the hospital I wasn't prepared for the sight before me. Easton was laying in the bed still in wolf form. He was too broken to shift. The doctor informed us that almost every bone in his body had been broken and he need to stay in wolf form in order to heal. He said, it's going to be touch and go. He was injected with wolfsbane which is slowing his healing process but he has no idea how he didn't die instantly from it. Dr. Grant's biggest concern is he won't return from being in Wolf form for too long, and he might have to be put down if he recovers. He's worried he will lose his mind to the wolf. I know that I will do everything in my power to stop that from happening.
I have been setting by his bedside for a week, I reach out to him constantly trying to find him in my mind. Every once in a while I get an animalistic image from him, but none of it makes sense. There is no thought just a feeling of being out of control. I hold his hand and talk to him hoping my words and touch are bringing comfort to him. He lost a lot of fur during the fight and he has deep gashes where the fur doesn't grow anymore. On the last X-ray done two days ago, Dr Grant said the smaller bones are starting to heal but both femurs in his back legs are still shattered. I cry at the thought of the pain he endured alone. I am so proud to know how he fought so bravely. I sit here fighting sleep when Alex comes in, "Charlee, have you had any sleep at all?" Concern filling his eyes. "No, I don't want to miss anything. What if he makes a breakthrough and calls out?" "It's been a week Charlee, most wolves don't come back after this long. How about you take a break and go get some sleep. I can stay here with him for a few hours." "No!" I snap catching both of us off guard and making Easton jump as well. We look at each other and Easton shocked to see him move and in that moment a picture of a baby floats through our minds and the word "Paul." "Paul? What is he thinking?" Alex asks confused. "I, I don't know?" I say just as confused why he would say my Dad's name. Alex runs to get Dr. Grant.

"You're sure it came from him?" Dr. Grant asks examining him. "Yes." Alex and I say at the same time. "Why would he say Paul? And see him as a baby?" He didn't even know him I ask so confused. "I'm not sure." Dr. Grant says scratching his head. "His thoughts are so muddled right now and more animal than human." Hanna walks in while Dr. Grant was examining him. "Anything Dr. Grant.?" She can't control the emotion she is feeling and breaks down in a sob. I take her in my arms and cry with her. My heart breaks for her as much as it breaks for me. She has always had a close relationship with Easton, and I'm not sure how she will make it through if anything happens to him. I shake off those negative thoughts before they cause me to have a panic attack.

After a few hours, Alex and Hanna left again. There was no more change and Easton hadn't tried reaching out to us again. I told them if there was any other communication I would let them know immediately. I haven't shifted into my wolf form since we arrived in France and I can feel my wolfs restlessness but I am too worried to leave Easton's side. I'm not sure exactly when I feel asleep but I begin dreaming of running through a forest I've never been in before. While I am running a see a giant black wolf watching me from the trees. I know that wolf anywhere and I slow my pace and begin to walk towards him. I look deep into his blue eyes and nuzzle his neck. I miss him so much. He begins to yip excitedly and pace around me sniffing. I am confused by his actions reaching out to him for an understanding. Again, the only word I receive back is "Paul."