A Wolf in Sheep's Clothing

I wake up late in the night not even realizing I fell asleep. It has only been a few days but it feels like a lifetime has passed. I lay there tossing and turning playing and replaying the events of the weekend in my mind. And I can't stand that Eve made me look like a fool and Easton just sat there and let her. I know she's like the universe's sexiest woman and all but she's a total snake. How does he not see that?! But most importantly why do I care so much?! Lost in my own thoughts I hear my phone chime from miles away.
Easton: Are you awake?

Well I am now what do you want?!

I knew you were awake already I can hear you tossing and turning. What's wrong?

You can hear me? What does
that even mean?

Open your window I'm coming in.

I get up and run over to the window not even surprised to see him below. I open it up and he jumps in like Spider Man or something. "Hey babydoll did you miss me?" He says winking and walking to my bed. "How did you get my phone number and what do you think you're doing?" "I called myself from it yesterday while you were taking a shower. And what does it look like I'm doing? I'm getting in bed." "I'm sorry you're what? Have you forgotten you don't live here?" "I tried sleeping outside but you know it's cold and uncomfortable it's just easier if I sleep with you." He says with best puppy dog eyes any human can pull off." "You are unbelievable."  I say flatly.  "What?"  He asks completely bewildered.  "Are you kidding me?! You sat in that chair while Mrs. I'm too sexy for my shirt tried to give us a play by play of your encounters at the lake and you just sat there and allowed it.  Now, you have the nerve to show up here and act like none of that happened?  I don't know what's going on between you two but I'm nobody's second place trophy.  If you want her you can have her!" 
"It's not that easy Charlee! I told you we are basically bonded even though we aren't bonded and she will have to fight you to the death to take your title." "Well, then, you shouldn't care one way or the other if she kills me!" I shout. Other than the obvious reason of impeding doom. I don't understand why this thought upsets me so much. "Charlee it doesn't work like that since it seems like we are already bonded if you were to die it would take a huge toll on me too. It's very rare for a wolf to live after losing their true mate. If we weren't bonded it wouldn't matter we could both go our separate ways but unfortunately it seems we already are bonded even though we haven't marked each other." I stare at him not knowing what to think my brain is being pulled into so many different thought strands that by the time I even catch the tail of one, another one is leading me in another direction. "Look Charlee, I didn't come here to fight, I'm trying to get to know you but this is hard. I've known Eve pretty much my whole life and like I've already told you I always figured it I were to marry it would be her. I am now bound by written law to marry you it changes everything and I don't know if I'm ready for marriage."

"How dare you!" "Charlee please...." "No!" I spew with a venomous hatred I didn't know I could possess. "How dare you sit there trying to get me to join in on this pity party you have just thrown for yourself! My life has literally changed from one day to the next, I'm about to go through my first shift pack-less, I might add, I have a bounty on my head being paid to the lowest bidder, and now I'm most likely going to be challenged to the death by that snake of a woman you seem to be so infatuated with. What were you expecting, for me to shake your hand and wish you well?! Tell you that I understand your inner turmoil, please don't worry about me?! Well, screw you!  I've had enough of the mental games you are playing! Leave!"  "Charlee wait...." "No Easton! I'm done!  Leave! If I could reject you right now I would but since I can't you can get the hell out of my house and never come back! Just stay away from me!" 

             Easton slowly gets off the bed and looks me over one last time before he jumps out the window shifting mid air.  I watch as his tattered clothes slowly drift to the floor and can't help but feel a deep nagging ache in my heart.  I close and lock my window knowing it won't keep out the threat that looms over my head and lay back in bed. Sleep has fully eluded me now and I sit for hours trying to figure out what I am going to do.  I watch as the first rays of sunlight slowly tiptoe across my floor and get out of bed and get ready to start a new day fresh without Easton disrupting my life.

While I'm trying to decide what to wear for the second week of school my phone rings. It's an unknown caller so I assume it's just a spam call and I ignore it. No more than a second has passed when it rings again. These guys can't take a hint. I reject it this time sending it to voicemail, and again no more than a second later it rings again. Annoyed I answer, "Look whenever you're selling I'm not interested in, and I don't claim myself so I know I'm good with the IRS..," "If you care about your friend Jocelyn at all you'll listen very carefully." A gruff voice cuts me off. "Who is this?!" I ask with a feeling of dread. "Meet is at the address we text you, or you can say goodbye to your friend at her funeral." The next second my phone vibrates indicating a message. I check the address but I've watched to many spy movies to just go without proof. "I want proof of life!" I shout breathily before they can hang up. My phone vibrates again before the caller hangs up. I look at the screen and my hand begins to shake. Jocelyn is laying in a bed with a masked man standing next to her holding her phone with today's date. Another text follows:
You have one hour. Come alone we will know if you don't.