Chapter Two

As Ronan's shark-nosed BMW pulled in the empty street corner, I suddenly get very nervous. The only reason Gansey would call all of us out here...
     "You coming or what?" Ronan said as he opened the back door the car for me. "Gansey's not gonna wait all day."
     I rolled my eyes. "My brother can wait, he needs to learn to be more patient anyways."
     Ronan laughed as he pulled my arm, basically dragging me out of the car. We stopped in front of Gansey, and Ronan immediately started talking. "My d**k brother wanted us to meet him at Nino's tonight. With Ashley."
     Ah, Ashley. The girl that Ronan absolutely does not want any part of. I've always felt bad for him, with his family and stuff. To be honest, I'm one of the only girls Ronan has ever opened up to.
     "Is that who's on the phone?" Gansey asked. "What's Ashley? (Y/N), can you fill up the gas tank?"
     I shook my head. "I already cleaned your room today. You've got to learn to do stuff on your own once in a while."
     Gansey looked at Ronan, who sighed, and took the gas can from the trunk, making little to no effort in keeping from making contact with his clothes. Honestly, I'll have to take him shopping next week.
      "Declan's latest," continued Ronan, "we're meant to look pretty for her."
I've never likes Declan that much. The Lynch family was a mysterious thing, and Declan held the key to it all. Ronan, however, was, in my opinion, the best Lynch. I'm biased, though, since I've spent literally everyday with him.
Focusing back to the matter at hand, I see Gansey trade Ronan for the gas can with a digital recorder. And the reason is the ley line.
"So, that's why you why you wanted me here. You found something interesting, huh?" I said, taking the recorder from Ronan, who gave me a face for stealing it.
"(Y/N), don't mess with that thing, please," Gansey said as he fiddled with his license plate, where I knew (from filling his gas multiple times) the gas tank was. "Ronan, you could've done this, y'know, you don't care about crapping up your shirt.
Ronan didn't reply, but I did notice him start to scratch at a scab under his leather bracelets (he calls them "leather bands"), and I hit his arm.
"Don't do that!"
"Why not?"
"Because it's gross and it's gonna bleed!"
"Maybe you should learn some manners, Girl Gansey."
"I told you not to call me that!" I said, my face getting red from frustration.
"Okay, love birds, someone ask me if I found something."
I felt my face heat up, not from frustration this time. Love birds? True, I did think Ronan was attractive. Well, not attractive in a technical sense. Like, his personality is attractive, ya know? And he does this really cute thing when he's angry, he picks at his bracelets— Oh no...
I like Ronan Lynch. The Ronan Lynch.
     "(Y/N)? Earth to (Y/N)!" Gansey said as he waved a hand in front of my face. I swat it away, giving him a glare. "Fine," I said, "what have you found today, oh wonderful Richard Gansey the Third?"
     Gansey flicked my forehead, but I could see a bit of pride in his eyes. "(Y/N), play the tape."
     "You're spilling gas on on your chinos," I said, but was ignored as I played the mysterious tape.
     The tape was quiet for a moment, then a single word slipped out of it, that was all too familiar: "Gansey."
     That was definitely Gansey's voice. It didn't sound as annoying as usual, though. It sounded... sad.
     Another voice made out the words: "Is that all?"
     I knew that voice. I just couldn't remember where. At school, maybe? At the park?
     I leaned a bit closer to Ronan, a bit spooked by it.
     One final voice came out of it: "That's all there is."
     I released the breath I didn't realize I was holding. What was all of that? I knew that girl's voice from somewhere... I just couldn't remember...
     "Well?" Gansey asked. "Aren't you going to ask me what was happening when I recorded that?"
     I looked to Ronan, who glanced at me, then at Gansey. Same thing as asking him.
     "Nothing was happening. I was staring at a parking lot-" "Full of bugs?" I interjected.
     Gansey nodded at me. Twin telepathy, right?
     "I didn't say anything all night long. So why is my voice in that recording?"
     "Coincidence?" Ronan asked, looking at me, smirking. I smirked back and finished, "I think not."
     Maybe it was alright to like the Ronan Lynch.