Chapter Seven

"Adam 'I don't know your middle name' Parrish, get your butt out from underneath that car." I say as I walk across his grassy backyard, a very loud puppy on my heels. Adam tried to look up, but ends up hitting his head against a pipe under the car. I sigh, crouching beside his laying figure. "You okay?"
     He drags himself out of the car and runs his head. "Yeah, I'm so okay."
     "Don't get that tone with me."
     "Alright, Mom."
     I roll my eyes. If Adam's dad didn't kill him, his sarcasm would. "Gansey wanted me to check up on you. My resources say you haven't been in school all day."
     Adam turns to face me, sitting with his legs crossed. A bruise spread over his cheekbone, red and swelling as a galaxy. A darker one snaked over the bridge of his nose. My gasp was completely audible.
     "Come with us."
     "You know that doesn't work on me."
     "Yeah, and that bruise doesn't work with that shirt, but let's change both."
     Adam scoffed. "Ronan is having a terrible influence on you."
     I got up, him following. "Adam, your dad is going to kill you. Just come live with us in Monmouth."
     Adam sighed and shuffled the ground with his shoes. "(Y/N), even if I agree, what's gonna happen when Gansey goes somewhere else because of Glendower, huh?"
     I was getting frustrated. If Adam wasn't so stubborn, this could be so much easier. I mean, does he want this?! No!
    "We'll take you with us!"
    "And leave everything I've gotten done at Aglionby behind? Nope, not happening."
     "Adam, just come on..."
      His eyes were weary and tired. Shaking his head, Adam looked at the ground. "(Y/N), tell Gansey that I'll handle this. He sent you over, right?"
     "I'm a lot of things, but I am not a messenger. If you have something to tell him, tell him yourself."
     "I can go with you now, if you'd like. He just won't be very happy when I get back."
     Well, it's something. Not a lot, but it's there. I nod, and we're about to head to the back door to go inside when we hear a loud slam! Adam's face turns from surprised to scared in a matter of seconds. I look around for an escape route.
     My eyes catch the fence, which was wooden. And short.
     "Adam," I whisper, "climb over the fence."
     Adam nods, and we run over to it. He whispers, "You first."
     I nod and climb over it with a lot of struggle. I'm not used to climbing fences, okay?!
     Adam hops over it next and we run down the sidewalk, laughing like children. I look over my shoulder and see Robert Parrish watching them run down the road, his eyes small and dark. He didn't have any of Adam in him. And I'm pretty sure that's a good thing, because that means Adam wasn't anything like his father.

$-$-$-$-$

     The front of Monmouth Manufacturing was quiet. Quiet was never a good look for the place I called home. A bike was propped up against the side of the building, a bike that was purple, with stickers covering almost every part of it. Ivy's bike.
     Walking up the sidewalk to the front steps, Adam, too, glanced at the bike. He didn't know who's it was, though. I wasn't going to tell him.
     My mind was jumbled. One thought stood out among the rest, and it was one I didn't want to think about. There could be a million other reasons Ivy was there. It's just... one of the reasons is the most likely: Ivy was telling Gansey that I was going to Adam's alone, and going against his wishes. People nowadays, you can't trust them!
     The front door seemed to be taunting me. There was about a nine to ten percent chance that I was going to get in trouble. As Gansey's "younger" sister (he was born ten seconds before me), he basically had control over everything I did. That was completely unfair, in my opinion.
     I turn the door handle and open it. In the big space of the corridor, Ivy and Gansey looked like they were having a small conversation. Gansey was the first to look toward me, a frown visible on his face. "(Y/N)."
     I froze. Ivy ratted me out. The nerve, I was going to bring her candy.
     "Heyyyyy, Gansey. You know what? I'm pretty tired. I'm just gonna go to my room and—"
     Before I could walk past him, Gansey grabbed my arm. "How about we have a little chat first? Adam, go help Ivy fix her bike, the chain snapped off of it."
     Adam and Ivy nodded and headed back out the front door.
     There I was, left alone with my dear brother, Richard.