Chapter Seventeen

I made my way back to my room, I didn't hear anything in Gansey's room. This, my friends, was suspicious. Gansey had a bad case of insomnia, and when passing his room, you could either hear a pencil frantically writing something down, or the pffft of a glue bottle. I had a nagging feeling that I should go in there. The half of me told me to go back to my room; that Gansey is asleep, dreaming of finding his dead Welsh king.
That nagging feeling always got me in the end.
I gently knock on Gansey's door, and say, "Richard?"
No reply.
Another knock; more forcefully.
"Richard."
I twist the doorknob; unlocked. I take peek in...

...

...

...

WASP.

My sister instincts kicked in and I grabbed a loose shoe from beside his desk. He was just standing there, looking at it with a blank expression. I ran over and BLAM!
The wasp splattered against the window, a bit of its guts dropping down the it. I turn to Gansey, who was just staring at it, a dazed look in his eye. I start to turn angry; since when was he so irresponsible?
     "Richard Campbell Gansey the Third! I thought I told you that if there's a wasp, you come and get one of us! If you die from a stupid insect, I'll be the one responsible for finding Glendower!"
     Gansey is quiet for a moment, then sighs, and sits down on the floor. I sit in front of him, careful not to squash his replica of Aglionby. He puts his face in his hands and groans in frustration.
      "I was thinking about that day, where you found me half dead, covered in wasps."
     My breathing hitched as I thought back to the dreaded summer day: Gansey and I were playing hide and seek with the kids at one of our parents prestigious parties. Gansey and I decided to hide in the woods near the greenhouse. He said that I would hide in the old log, and he would hide in the grass. With the grass being so long, we couldn't see anything through, like a wasps' nest...
     I had to watch all those wasps kill my brother. He was twitching like crazy and when he finally looked deader than dead, the wasps flew away. The wind started blowing a breeze and something whispered in my ear: "Watch over him, find me. I'm putting my trust in you, young priestess."
     One of Gansey's eyes had opened wide, then the other, and he slowly stood up. We both went back to the party, as if nothing happened. We both knew, though. We knew that we had to find him.
     I shuddered at the memory, and put my hand on Gansey's arm. "Listen, there are multiple wasps in the world. Killing one, it's nothing. But there's only one Richard Campbell Gansey the Third. When a wasp kills you, it's over. So, please, don't just stare at a deadly weapon like that."
     Gansey nodded, and said, "I know. I'll try to be more careful. I'm sorry, by the way, about the way I've been treating you. You know I just want to protect you, right?"
     "I'm sure," I sighed, "but you have to remember, I'm the same age as you. I know what I'm doing when I leave the house. I go to school, get picked up, hangout with friends, get home by ten, and go to bed."
      Gansey nudged me with his foot, and smiled. "Okay, okay, I get it. Speaking of getting to bed, go do that."
      I laughed, said goodnight, and headed back to my own room.

$-$-$-$-$-$

     "Punk Boy won't tell your brother that I'm talking to you, right?" Ivy asked as we walked across the sidewalk to the crowd of students waiting for their ride.
     I looked around at everyone and replied, "No, he won't. I would keep a watch out for your dad, though. He doesn't want you talking to me, remember?"
     Ivy sighed and scratched the back of her head. She nodded and began rummaging around in her backpack. "I got this really cool idea, right? My neighbors are gone for the weekend, right? Well, their stupid kid stole my key to the storage unit. I'm gonna sneak into their house and take it back."
     My mouth dropped open. "Ivy! That's not "sneaking", that's breaking and entering!"
     "Oh, please, I'm not going to break anything! I'll just break their lock! They won't even notice!"
     I facepalmed. "You can actually get arrested for this, Ivy. Why are you telling me this, anyway?"
     Ivy skidded her foot on the ground in an awkward fashion. "Um, well, I need a solid alibi in case I do get caught."
     I groaned and took out my phone. A text from Ronan.

      Bird Boy- Pulling in, where are you?
      Me- near the gaggle of students in the front
      Bird Boy- See ya

      I sigh and and wave goodbye to Ivy, and she doesn't wave back. She was on her phone.
     Ronan's BMW pulls up, and I hop in. The students all stare in awe as he rides off, leaving a trail of dust.
     "I'm impressed, Girl Gansey, you actually disobeyed your brother three times in the same month! What we're you talking about anyway?"
     "She's going to break into her neighbors' house to get a key to a storage unit that we broke into."
      "... Metal."
      "Ronan, no-"