Chapter Six

"But you told me Gansey didn't want you going alone," Ivy said through the receiver on my phone. I turned the corner of the street, tiny houses here and there.
    I rolled my eyes, "I know, but, in all honesty, you don't need to be wrapped up in this right now."
     I was currently walking to Adam's from the park. Now, this wouldn't normally be a problem, but I wasn't with anybody. I was, for the first time, deliberately defying Gansey's orders. And man, did it feel good.
     "Then bring Noah or something!"
     "I'm not a child, Ivy."
     "I know, but you're not an adult either! Hannah, please!"
     I'm about to hang up the phone when she says the second to first scariest three words ever, "I'll tell Gansey."
     I put the phone back to my ear. "Don't. You. Dare."
     There was hesitation on her side of the phone. "Th-Then at least call Gansey to pick you guys up. Tell him I went home early and couldn't go with you."
     I rubbed my eyes. This is negotiation, also known as Ivy's specialty. "Take my shift at Neeno's tonight and I'll do it."
     "Bring me some candy tomorrow at school and we have a deal."
     "Alrighty then. See you tomorrow," I laughed. We both said goodbye, and I hovered my finger over Gansey's contact. Would Gansey be mad at me for walking this far alone? Or would he understand? Who am I kidding, he can't even understand his own language half of the time.
     I stuff my phone back in my pocket and continue my walk to Adam's. His street shouldn't have been too far away, but it felt like it. No wonder he drives with Gansey to school.
     I finally reach the steps to his house, already beginning to get worried. Ronan told me before I left that Adam was missing all day. All I can say is me no likey.
     I walk up the steps, each counting down the seconds until I see who answers the door; it would either be Adam's dad or Adam's mom. One would shut me out, the other would welcome me in.
     I knock on the door. Footsteps hurry to the door to open it. It opens to reveal Mrs. Parrish, gaunt and tired looking. I smile at her, but she doesn't return it. "He's in the backyard."
     I nod, and she lets me through the house and to the back door.