RISKY BUSINESS

We were on the moon. How exactly did we manage to get there in one piece...that was something I ignored.

But certainly, it mattered.

"The wheelbarrow will not put up with another ride," Ice cream man reported. "We'll need Mama's assistance."

Static took hold of the radio at that moment.

"Will Mama Bat send a ship to get us?" I broke in agitated.

"It's possible," the doctor whispered, looking steadily at the panel. "It's...it's..."

He grew silent and immersed his thoughts in God knows what type of archaic calculations. Darwin leaned forward.

"Were those Bats, the ships that attacked us?" he asked. "Or were they some other kind of spaceships?"

"They were Bats," the doctor replied, his eyes still on the controls. "Felix is trying to contact the base," he pressed the radio key: the noise continued. "Let's wait," he judged calmly. "We'll receive instructions in a moment."

Perfect. Meanwhile I'd have a few seconds to regulate my breathing and savor our monumental feat.

I stretched out my legs like people do when they finish a long voyage and made myself comfortable in the seat, which under a six times lower gravity than Earth, provided a delightful sensation, and sluggishly, I wandered in the unfathomable blackness that comprised the horizon of that bizarre world.

Suddenly, the cabin vibrated. I took a glance at Darwin and noticed he was getting up.

"Darwin."

"I'm going to check out the back."

I followed him with my eyes. He settled at the edge of one of the rear windows. I felt like getting up, but the explorer's excitement couldn't beat the coziness of my chair.

Happily, I was spread out all over the seat and closed my eyes, ready to take a well deserved nap.

"Mariachi here," the radio cracked all of a sudden.

"Go ahead," Ice cream man replied. "I'm listening."

I paid attention.

"All the roads have been closed for three days. Mama is still isolated."

"The situation is more serious that what was anticipated," the doctor murmured.

My eyes opened wide.

"Mama was aware of the visitors," the radio informed. "Mailman knew."

"What's going on?" I asked.

"The mailman—"

"Wait a minute," Ice cream man broke in the communication. Turning a little towards me he explained: "Felix just told me that the solar storm has lasted more than expected... no lunar satellite has been working since four days ago. Mama Bat is isolated."

My forehead frowned suspiciously.

"But, then, how did the Bats know the precise moment in which we would be arriving to the moon?"

"That's what's weird. Somehow, colonel Bilsby had been informed..."

"Colonel Bilsby?" I asked. "The one in charge of the base security?"

The doctor didn't answer; he pushed the radio key.

"Mariachi. We have just escaped a Bat attack. Mailman knew about the Vampires visit."

"Did the Bats attack?"

"Affirmative. The attack did not come from the Vampires."

The spaceship shivered again. I turned toward the rear and observed that Darwin was moving anxiously by the window, tapping his helmet.

"The raid was not led by the Mailman," I heard Mariachi explain, after a silent pause. "Mailman departed 31 hours ago back to the moon along with ten Bats. Estimated arrival time: 11 hours."

It looked like Darwin was trying to activate his lights with a dint of slaps.

"Was mailman on Earth?" Ice cream man was surprised.

The alarming news made me turn around toward the front.

"Affirmative. Mama sent him to Earth four days ago."

The doctor shook his head.

"It can't be..." He flicked the radio switch,"Voodoo wants the Bats away from the base..." "I knew it was weird," he reflected on that, off transmission. "Bilsby would never send out the Bats through the visible face..."

"But, don't the Bats protect the base?" I questioned.

The doctor lost sight in the horizon.

"The base is on the other face...there's no reason to send the Bats so far away, particularly now that the SVM is ready..."

"Are you suggesting that Mama Bat has some kind of arrangement with the Vampires?" Darwin inquired from behind.

We both turned toward him. Darwin had moved away from the window and was also looking at us.

"Something really bad must be going on at the base," the doctor replied. "That's the only thing I can think of."

"If the Vampires have an accomplice at the base," Darwin went on with his theory, "they practically have one week to nicely take the SVM," he slapped his helmet one more time. "There are no witnesses now..."

Indeed, Mama Bat would be half deserted.

"And if they take the SVM," I added, "they will obviously need the doctor and maybe..."

The lights in my friend's helmet were activated.

"It works!" he celebrated.

"No, no," the doctor scolded at once. "Dim the intensity! Dim it to the minimum!"

My friend gave a few more slaps on the helmet and twisted the buttons. The doctor turned toward the control panels again. I imitated him.

After a quick visual inspection of the controls, the doctor pressed the button on the radio.

"If Voodoo is involved in something dirty," he transmitted to Mariachi, "the attack to the Vampire fleet makes no sense..."

"Exactly," I said to myself, "it makes no sense."

We both waited for Mariachi's opinion.

His words got lost among the noise.

"Mariachi, go ahead," Ice cream man insisted.

More noise.

The doctor flicked the transmission button one more time.

"We'll go to the base right away. We can't wait around for Bilsby." He looked at me. "We must find out what the hell is going on the other side..."