AN INDECENT PROPOSAL

Shivers ran through my spine.

"Don't worry professor," Mr. Wright replied, "I'll get you out of here."

It seemed like he couldn't care less about the delicate warning and much less for the guards.

The doctor sighed.

"Before exposing my proposal," the businessman continued calmly, "let me enlighten you about another aspect of demassification." He turned slightly and blew out under his glasses: they moved in a perfect diagonal. "Also, resistance to movement is eliminated ...." He stretched out his arm to grab the eyeglasses which swiftly went up. "That is," he moved the glasses toward the personal SVM again,"there is also loss of inertial mass*. That is demassification," he added to his captivated audience, "loss of gravitational mass and loss of inertial mass. What else can you ask from mass?" he smiled. "To reappear?" He clicked his personal SVM again; there was a new spark. "Remassified glasses," he handed the glasses to his assistant.

The quick demonstration had concluded.

"Gentlemen," he came to an end, "my vision—"

The hatches that looked like an elevator opened right behind him.

The squad went in.

The doors were shut and that now familiar tickling was felt in my belly, I knew we were going down. Next, the elegant assistant put the eyeglasses back on my dazzled friend. Mr. Wright approved.

"As I was saying," he continued and took his cap off, "my vision is to build the first generation of demassified vehicles." He wiped dry the sweat off his forehead. "I am the president of Space Corp, a global consortium dedicated to the exploitation of semiconductors and superconductors...although, for the past years I've been promoting the real space race and I have my eyes on the solar system and in the gravitational interactions," he paused. "Gentlemen," he went on convincingly, "we are at a stone's throw of turning Earth into the Jetsons civilization..." He combed a flattened toasted brown lock of hair and put his cap back on. "Liu."

The exquisite Asian woman crossed her hands.

"Space Corp. is planning to make an upfront investment of 25 billion dollars in the development of demassified vehicles. Each demassified vehicle will weigh between one and four pounds, including fuel. As you know, the actual price to place in orbit one pound is $10,000." She fixed her shiny jet-black hair. "De-massification will make this rate go down by 99.95%. Not only will the space industry benefit, but the initial impact will involve the whole transportation industry too: automobiles, sea vessels and airplanes will be completely replaced in a period of 10 years."

Her boss, arms crossed at chest level, intervened with encouragement.

"Naturally, there will be alliances with the largest transportation companies, space, land, sea or air..."

The graceful executive continued:

"In a six month period, the investment will be recuperated. We are projecting utilities of 15 billion dollars the first year, 50 billion the second year and 95 billion the third year..."

95 billion dollars! That is more than twice the fortune of Bill Gates!

Her boss looked at her proudly.

"Brilliant, Liu. Brilliant," he turned toward us. "And we haven't talked about the impact on energy," he smiled pleased and took some air in. "Professor Masterton, gentlemen. We are one step away from changing the course of civilization. We'll generate so much wealth in the process, we could even," he looked around, "buy...no, no," he corrected himself and continued inspired: "Why stand pat with a building, we'll get this satellite and many more. But first," he clarified, "we need SVM's of optimum quality, SVM's for the Earth, for the moon," he took a breath and concluded his presentation with a proposal: "Professor Masterton, my company wishes to hire you and your team for the design and massive construction of the SVM's."

*Mass presents two fundamental factors: opposition to change in movement or inertia, and the attraction to other masses. Although there is only one mass, when its inertial aspect is emphasized, it is referred to as inertial mass. Likewise, when its attraction aspect is emphasized, it is referred to as gravitational mass.