THE BEST IS YET TO COME

I turned to Darwin, right next to me. To speak privately, I unplugged my headset. My friend got my message. He took off his headset too and looked at me waiting.

"Vanessa," I said worried.

The wonderful name expressed everything I had to say. And Darwin knew it. He put his hands on his head.

"How could we forget?"

He stayed staring at me wide eyed.

"Tell Felix."

I put my hand on my chin, indecisively. Darwin went near the window and fixed his glasses.

"Hurry up! We're arriving to the airport!"

I got up from my seat and rushed to the cabin.

"Felix!" I said desperately. "I need to see someone!"

Felix fixed his earphones.

"Some other time."

No. I couldn't afford it. I already knew that tomorrow was a very uncertain date!

"Felix," I insisted. "It's Vanessa del Valle! Doctor Masterton's niece!" and tugging him by the shoulder I added: "You know where she lives! Don't you?"

He tilted his head and keeping his impassive characteristic, he answered:

"I have to check with the pilot."

"It will be a very short visit! I swear!"

We were reaching the hangars. A small jet plane was coming out of one of them.

Good grief!

Suddenly, the pilot nodded. The chopper went up again, changing route. I went back to my seat, exhausted by the anxiety fit and let myself fall like an inert lump.

I noticed that the two men in dark glasses, sitting on a bench at the edge of the spacious cabin, were looking at me. One of them spoke up:

"That was close, boy."

I cleared my throat a little embarrassed; Darwin talked on my behalf.

"He has come from very far to see her..."

I nodded with a frozen expression. The man replied something and Darwin answered back. A nice chat began, which was impossible for me to follow.

Romance had come back to my life and I was feeling the symptoms again: following my lack of concentration, an uncomfortable nervousness appeared which ended up plunging me into the most painful uncertainty. "What would Vanessa say when she saw me? Would she be happy? Would she still love me?

I didn't have the answers.

"Darwin!" I exclaimed and joined the happy chat in a stroke. "Will she still love me?"

My friend turned around at once and laughed surprised:

"She's in love with you!"

The wise answer satisfied me for just a few moments: all of a sudden I was aware of my unkempt appearance. The suit was totally dirty. Besides, I had been several days without shaving and bathing...

"But, how will she react when she sees me?" once again I interrupted the conversation. "Right now, I'm not good to look at! I haven't bathed in more than a week!"

Darwin turned around and sniffed. He looked at me pensively.

"That smell will awaken her animal instinct," he guaranteed surely. "You're going to drive her crazy..."

"Ah?"

My friend half closed his eyes.

"Gordo, you will make her yours today. You'll make her all yours..."

I got more nervous. I decided to slide toward the other window to wander in the view and dissipate my anxiety.

I needed to divert my thoughts.

I didn't have much time. Suddenly, the voice of the pilot was heard through the headphones.

"We're here."