A PENDING ASSIGNMENT

Then, regaining sobriety, he added:

"Your mission has concluded. Let's go."

He half turned and headed again to the helicopter. Darwin and I, still excited about everything that had occurred, caught up with him and tried to explain what had happened...

Felix wasn't paying too much attention. He hardly nodded when we told him that the moon had gotten out of orbit. He didn't ask nor answer any of our questions. He restricted himself to see us out of the corner of his eye.

"Felix!" I said desperately and tried to free him from his apathy. "Doctor Masterton is dead! We've lost him! We've lost him!"

Felix stopped; so did we. He extended his arm to the east. We also looked in that direction.

A white moon was rising in the morning blue sky.

"Do you know who put it back in its place?" he asked.

We looked at him agape. Felix made a laconic assenting gesture and resumed the fast paced march. Darwin and I looked at each other marveled and followed the enigmatic character.

"But how?" we yelled.

We speeded up and reached him right next to the huge helicopter. The noise of the propeller was unbearable, but even then, we persisted:

"Whatever happened?" Darwin shouted.

Felix didn't hear or pretended not to hear. He didn't stop. He kept walking as a couple of men in black suits and dark glasses were coming down from the rear compartment of the shuttle. One of them passed by him and headed to the front hatch. I sped up. I avoided the other guy who was sliding open the back door and caught up with the doctor's colleague when they were opening the front door for him.

"Felix!" I called.

Felix placed his boot on the foot-board, getting ready to go up. Darwin joined us.

"Did you happen to contact the doctor?"

Felix stopped, put his boot down and turned around.

"Your mission is over," he reminded sharply.

He saw us completely inexpressive.

No more questions. I made a gesture of resignation.

Felix moved closer and checked the time; at that moment I found out that it was only 6:30 in the morning...

"Are you seeking to be late for your finals?" he asked.

Once again, he took us by surprise. We looked at him marveled.

"Is it August 11?" I inquired startled.

The unencumbered doctor's friend made an affirmative gesture and turned to board the ship.

But, how did Felix know about our exams? Unless the doctor...

There wasn't time for any more questions. All of a sudden the propeller increased its revolutions. We ran to the rear cabin and dove—not taking into account that we no longer had the jet-packs on.

Even so, we fell in.

One moment later we took off.

One more time we undertook a race against time, but luckily, this time neither the Earth nor the moon were running any danger, only Darwin's life and mine...Fate had given us a last chance to graduate from high school, if we finally established ourselves on Earth, we couldn't fail.

A non-stop flight to WashingtonD.C. would last four hours. Then, if we took into account the time difference, plus the summer time adjustment and the morning traffic, we would probably be arriving at school around 10:00 am.

Just on time for the finals.

No. We would be a little late...

I had to see Vanessa before I left! If I had flown all the way through the stratosphere and to Guatemala, it was precisely to see her!