DEMASSIFICATION

Even though the phrase was snappy, the doctor remained indifferent. He didn't even look at our speaker.

"What do you want with us?" he asked with a hint of annoyance.

"You'll find out in a moment," the businessman replied. "Doctor Masterton, gentlemen; if you allow me I'll—"

"I don't know who you are," the doctor broke in again, "but you should convince Voodoo to deactivate the SVM." He shook his head. "We need immediate access to the SVM, before it's too late. Do you understand the seriousness of the situation?"

Mr. Wright looked at his watch.

"Of course," he agreed willingly and gazed up at us. "I'll get you out of this. All I'm asking is for you to pay attention to what I'm about to say," he raised his brows as a gesture of interrogation. "Do we agree?"

I didn't have a problem with the magnate saving my life, therefore I agreed. I saw with the corner of my eye Darwin's eyeglasses move.

"Why not?" he dared to say.

Our boss's answer came a few seconds later, in the form of a heavy puff. He raised his eyes and nodded resignedly.

"Perfect," our affable lawyer celebrated. "Gentlemen, we had managed to block the gravitational shields 99.8% and—"

He stopped talking. We came to a halt in front of some doors.

I took a deep breath, getting ready for the final one. Only God knew what would be on the other side. Of course, for the nice businessman, there was nothing to worry about. Getting warm, he took a step forward and then turned around completely.

"This way Liu," he said, giving himself the satisfaction of relocating his assistant, in front of us, the prisoners. "To my right."

Liu placed herself right in front of Darwin. Mr. Wright, stayed in the middle, in front of the other three. Evidently pleased for the break in our march, he hurried to continue. "It would be better if you confirm it by yourselves," he looked with the corner of his eye.

His sexy assistant was removing the glasses from my friend who was still and agape. If that wasn't Darwin's last wish, I'm sure it was pretty close.

"Gentlemen," Mr. Wright continued, as if standing before a large auditorium, "the wheel has just been reinvented: it is called demassification." The assistant gave him the glasses. "Thanks Liu." He drew out of his pocket some artifact resembling a bar code reader. "I use the personal SVM to demassify small objects." He put the small device in front of the glasses and when he pressed a button with the thumb a purple spark shone on the glasses as a bell sounded. "Watch," he said as he put the battered glasses at about 12 inches from his eyes. "Observe the glasses."

Like an act of illusion, he moved his hands away and the glasses were floating!

My mouth, too new to dissemble amazement, was wide open. Our boss, Jonas Masterton, just like the guards, watched the scene with total apathy.

Mr. Wright, however, was pretty excited.

"99.8% of its gravitational S's are activated. As you can see, the gravitational force is almost blocked; that is, isolated from the gravitational outer field. In other words, the object has no weight. It has lost its mass. It is demassified! The object is falling so slow that it might take forty years to reach the ground! The possibilities—"

"How many ounces have you demassified with the SVM?" the doctor interrupted, paying no attention to the fascinating trick before him.

The doctor's question illuminated the magnate's face.

"Ounces?" he smiled. "We have demassified ten tons of 1000 different types of matter!"

"Ten tons?"

"Of course! The pocket SVM can work only 3 ounces. We have samples of polycarbonate, germanium, concrete, asbestos, alloy...What would you like to see? There are tons of samples!"

The doctor restricted himself to fold the corners of his lips. Mr Wright smiled.

"Well, they were only seven tons of material actually..." He raised his eyebrows. We had some slight damage with the SVM...but it is working well now and demassifying faster than ever..."

It was inevitable to turn to look at the doctor. He, as well, signaled our speaker. Mr. Wright approached him.

"How many ships did you bring along?" the doctor murmured.

"Four," he frowned. "Would you like to see them later?"

The doctor shook his head.

"Take all the people you can in your ships and leave the base immediately."