ARMAGEDON BEGINS

We hopped over the deadly acid puddles and ran until we reached a swinging ladder. In spite of the bustling we managed to climb fast. We reached the second level and the two guards holding Phil joined us at once.

"That way!" one of them shouted.

Preceded by him, we got into the structure rapidly.

The tremors were terrible. It was raining dust and rubble everywhere. Even so, it wasn't long before we came out to some kind of linking bridge.

"We're almost there!" one of the guards informed. "That's the building!"

The ground swayed like a hammock. We moved on through skids and shoves.

Suddenly, I noticed the echo from our footsteps.

We had crossed the bridge. Now, we were running through the corridor of a building. The doctor picked up his pace and moved ahead of the squad. He stopped at the end and gave a terrific kick at a door.

"We'll take the stairs!"

The rest of the group was catching up.

"Hurry!" he said making gestures.

We were getting there. The terrible plant had stayed behind.

Or maybe not.

A formidable clamor filled the area. I caught a glimpse of some iron bars sliding impetuously from the end of the hallway. We all threw ourselves to the staircase and flew up it. A mess of rubble was at our heels, rising like yeast.

Luckily, the rubble stayed behind. We exited through a door and reappeared in a new hallway... surrounded by a cloud of dust.

The moonquakes didn't yield! It seemed like the gods had unleashed their rage!

"Along the sides!" the doctor shouted. "Back against the wall!"

And that's how we moved on—sometimes groping, the lights blinked—until we were through some huge hatches.

"We're here!" our boss whispered, facing the squad.

He braked, looking around. I was right behind him, I braked too. Tired, I hunched and rested my hands on my knees.

I must say, in spite of the awful quakes, I felt great. I couldn't believe I was alive. Alive, and very close to boarding the spaceship that would take me back to Earth. Back to the arms of the most beautiful earthling!

"Deactivate the SVM immediately!" I heard the doctor yell all of a sudden.

Some gunshots were heard.

"Doctor Masterton is in charge!" another voice announced.

I raised my eyes.

The two guards, who had carried Phil, now were escorting the doctor toward an immense table of computers. It was, rather, a control panel. Two guys seemed to be in charge. Looking further, I realized that the table was the first one in a row of control panels.

We were in a control room, feebly illuminated by a soft yellowish light. A gigantic semi-dark window was at the back, surrounding perimetricaly a curious hexagonal structure that shone in purple and blue shades...

It wasn't the space port.

It was the control room of the fearful SVM.

Hell!