ɪ ᴄᴀɴ'ᴛ ʟᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜ [ᴅɪᴇɢᴏ ɪᴍᴀɢɪɴᴇ]

Requested by : DancingWithSebastian
Ps:
Holy shit u guys I'm so sorry. I know I've been really inactive but my finals are this week and the coming week. After that hopefully I'll be more free to post and update.

------------------------
Swimming seemed like a good idea at that time of the month. You'd woken up before your long-term boyfriend, Diego, and had left him sleeping, he looked so cute when he was asleep. The house you had bought together was a five-minute walk from a secluded little beach and you regularly went there to swim and if the weather was warm, Diego would invite his friends around and you would all have a BBQ by the sea.

The sky was clear when you woke up so you decided to swim out further than you normally would've. You were about half a mile out when you felt the sting. Looking down, you saw the bright orange that you knew so well, sea nettles. The army of jellyfish were swarming around your legs each one sending a sharp sting of pain through your body. You hadn't even considered the possibility of jellyfish, they tended to stick to the warmer waters. Though, individually, their stings weren't too dangerous, this amount of venom could cause trouble. You felt you legs starting to cramp, a panic setting over you as you realized that you were nowhere near the shore. You started to swim. Your chest started closing, your breaths getting shorter and shorter. You pushed yourself harder, only a few hundred meters from the shore. The water seemed to get heavier, harder to swim through. And the shore seemed to get further and further away. Only a hundred meters. You took a breath, water entered your lungs. You kept pushing, one arm after the other. More water entered your lungs. Your visioned blurred. The rocking of the waves didn't seem so bad. Slowly, you gave into the gentle lulling of the water, you didn't even feel the scratch of gravel or the strong arms that lifted you from the Atlantic waters.

"Y/N? Can you hear me? Y/N?"

You could hear the desperation in that voice, it sounded familiar. You wondered why this person was so upset. You wondered why the water had stopped moving. You wondered why your legs hurt so much. The emptiness that had threatened to consume in the water didn't seem that bad, it made the pain stop, so you welcomed it, letting yourself drift away.

---

It was your fingers that you felt first. You could move them. Then it was your toes. You wiggled them. Yeah I still have toes. You then tried to move your nose, scrunching it like a rabbit. Okay still got a nose. You stopped when you heard the relieved chuckle from next you. A hand slowly clasped yours, giving it a gentle squeeze. You opened your eyes and turned to look at those hypnotizing eyes you loved to wake up to. The dark circles showing the extent of his tiredness.

"Hey." He spoke softly, as if he thought that speaking to loudly would hurt you.

"Hey." You pout at the croaky sound of your voice.

"Ssh, you've been unconscious for a few days, your voice is bound to sound a little hoarse." You noticed the concerned tone, despite the fact he was trying to comfort you.

His thumb gently stroked the back of your hand while his other hand lifted to move a few strands of hair from your face. Diego stood from his chair, still holding your hand, and sat on the edge of the bed. He bent in, a large hand cupping your face before his soft lips captured yours. The kiss was desperate as though he felt he would lose you if let go, he was worried. Even though he was turned away you could see the tension in his shoulders and the grip on your hand had tightened. He hated showing you, what he called, weakness. You lifted your free hand to put it on his shoulder.

"Diego, look at me." You ignored the crack in your voice. "look at me baby, look, I'm still here"

He slowly start to turn. You moved your hand to stroke the side of his face, noticing the stubble and wet streaks that graced his cheek. His hand rose to cover yours, his head turned to place a kiss on your palm. Both of you sat in comfortable silence, Diego, moving to place gentle kisses on your palm and wrist.

"I thought I'd lost you Baby." You looked up to see his eyes piercing yours, begging you to understand. "You have no idea how scared I was. I saw you lying on the beach, covered in red mark, slowly turning blue and I thought I was going to lose you. Right I knew I can't imagine my life without you" His voice broke, a single tear escaping. "I can't lose you. I love you. I never want that to happen again. I love you Y/N. I want to be there for you, everyday. I want to protect you. Will you let me?"

You could barely nod before he stood to get off the bed and knelt by your side. You gasped as you saw him pull out a small black box. You chuckle softly before saying, "you always know how to choose the right timing Diego, don't you?". He laughs at the sarcasm before saying, "Y/F/N, I love you more than anything, will you make me the happiest man alive and will you marry me, Diego Hargreaves?".