chapter III: fred

Luxury? How does it feel to live in luxury and comfort? Do house elves bring you breakfast to your bed and pick out your clothes? Do you feel happy? Or does it ever bore you, the glamour and the money?

Fred did feel happy. He couldn't say he had everything, but he had family and most importantly he had love in his life. Unlike others, he could brag about having warm meals and sitting around table while joking with his siblings. Did she ever joke about tomatoes or spells with Draco? No, he supposed not. There just wasn't time for that.

''Fred, you can't just wake up and have a stare off with wall every morning.'' sighed Lee, his head peeking out of the bathroom. Their dorm was cozy and warm, surprisingly not smelling of gunpowder or explosive. Fred liked it; it reminded him of home.

''He's right, mate. Lestrange won't even blink in your direction if you don't shower.'' said George, sending him a wild smirk that only made Fred bare his teeth at him.

''What does she have to do with this?'' huffed Fred and jumped off the bed to find his robes. George rolled his eyes, sighed loudly and started putting his shoes on. Of course, Lee wasn't even ready and class was starting in ten minutes.

''I don't get it. You have Rose and still you find time for that girl in your head. I mean, Rose's a nice lad, but — ''

''George, I'm breaking up with her today.''

''I knew it! I KNEW IT, FRED! My plan has worked!'' yelled George and began jumping around the dorm and over the beds, while one shoe was on his foot, threatening to slip out.

''What plan, George? You didn't even know I — ''

''Ah, but I knew! You were going to break up because you needed to be all fresh and single for little Miss. I'll Kill Everyone!'' he kept yelling as he jumped around like a lunatic. It seemed as though that he didn't care about his hair or his robes today.

Before Fred could utter an explanation, the door of their dorm burst open and a blonde girl walked in, carrying at least a dozen of books. Her robes were tidy, just like her hair that lay in a braid, resting on her shoulder and her black eyes were scanning the room until they finally settled on her boyfriend. Or would-be-ex-boyfriend. . .except she didn't know that.

''Walters! Welcome to our empire!'' said George and finally settled on one of the beds. ''How kind of you to come. Fred and I were just talking about you.''

George had sent him a smirk that screamed Good luck and disappeared on the stairway that led to their common room, grabbing the right shoe in the process. Great, I should just kill myself now. Lee barged out of the bathroom, sent them an apologetic look and rushed off in George's direction, just as Fred hoped he would stay.

I can't do that to her.

He still liked her and he still felt something towards her, yet she has become so controlling that he couldn't take it anymore. Why him? Why does he always find complicated girls?

Yes, Rosalie was the prettiest girl in their year — well, at least he thought he was — but looks deceive and he had no time to realize that before their relationship. She only wanted to smooch and kiss — no talking. . .He didn't even know her favourite colour, and still he tried and tried and gave everything, only to receive nothing.

''I think we need to talk, Rose.''

''But Fred, Charms — ''

''No, Rose, this is more important. Trust me.''

''Can we at least walk to classroom? It's not that far.'' she said and got up, clutching his hand. Fred nodded and the two were soon out on the corridor. The castle, as magnificent it could be, was now empty and depressing, matching the outside cloudy weather. His brown eyes were trained to the stone-cold floor as Rose babbled about a new girl she met couple of days earlier. He couldn't understand why was it so hard to say it out loud. Fred had repeated it at least a hundred times in front of the mirror, enchanting it to be Rosalie's reflection in the mirror. And now, when he finally made his decision that it would be today, the words wouldn't leave his mouth even if someone held a knife to his throat.

Still, luck would never be on his side; it was, at least, something he had in common with Lyra.

Stop thinking about her!

''Ah, Weasley, now that you've found yourself someone to entertain with, will I finally be left alone?''

Really?

He knew that voice. That voice that had just cut the air as Rosalie snapped her eyes towards her, soaking up Lyra's image as a sponge. She stood in front of them, obviously on her way to class, being fashionably late. Her black hair was in a messy ponytail and her eyes were mockingly shifting from Rose to Fred. Lyra was still pretty, even in that messy state. Some Black genes never fade. He remembered Sirius from this summer as he always looked handsome and elegant in his Victorian clothes —  and he realized, Lyra was his niece, and she must have had some good in her, it couldn't be Bellatrix's personality she had too, right?

''You two know each other?'' Rose asked suspiciously, her blue eyes piercing the Slytherin. Lyra didn't give in; instead, she showed her her white set of teeth just as her eyes spoke a different story, and answered. That wasn't a smile, Fred noticed, it was more of a snarl.

''We've met.''

The already-tense atmosphere that only seemed to amuse Lyra, escalated in seconds. Rosalie brought out her wand and peered it at Lyra who didn't even flinch. Was she used to this? Did she already have duells at home with Death Eaters?

''So, cheating on me with a snake? Is that how low you have fallen?''

Fred stood in front of the Lyra as her wand danced in her hands, smirk never leaving her face. Rosalie was never going to escape Lyra's spells; he knew she was far more dangerous than people cared to say, she was ready to kill a muggle, and it dawned upon him that he had to stop this before a scene was made.

''We're done, Fred.'' snarled Rosalie, her fury never leaving her face and then turning to Lyra. ''But that does not mean I've finished with you.''

Once he turned to Lyra to say an apology once again, she spoke and a smile occupied her face as his fears and worries started feeling a little bit less important.

''Single again?''