chapter VII: lyra

October came and went, just like the letters stamped with the Malfoys' adress began coming rarer and rarer. It was nothing weird for Lyra, though. She knew exactly why. An answer to Bellatrix's letter was never sent and so, the woman decided not to send letters anymore. Like mother, like daughter — both stubborn and proud.

But what did bother her were two certain redheads. Ronald and Fred Weasley were in her mind more often than she wanted. Ron, who decided to shoot her angry glares and snarls her way, was hating her without any proper reason, and his older brother kept making his way towards her heart. She hated him less than before. . .but there were problems, her prejudices being the first. She was taught to hate them and muggles, and his friends were, no matter how much she tried, somehow always making her feel like she was above them. There was no easy way to deal with them, especially with that girl Hermione. She made Lyra feel stupid — but stupid like not intelligent. People talked she was the brightest witch of her age — and the spark of jealousy arose in her, making her doubt herself. A mudblood being better than Lyra, a pureblood, with her powerful family? No. It couldn't be possible. Lyra is not letting that happen.

''Barny The Dancer?'' muttered Katherine and buried her hands in her hair. That way, her platinum blonde hair stood up and made her look like a mad scientist. Both were dressed in Christmas jumpers and simple jeans, and somehow they were still cold. Katherine blamed it on stone walls, and Lyra didn't know if she should agree.

''Yes. . .I mean, that's what he said.''

''Did he say anything else?'' asked Katherine, and looked up from her Transfiguration book. The library was awfully quiet, even if people were splattered all around the room. It was dark and warm, and ancient-looking, with high windows and a gothic look. Lyra loved it; her common room was all like it, just like her dorm.

''I — um — I think he said sixth corridor?''

''Damn you and your memory,'' sighed Katherine and let herself escape a chuckle. The blonde closed the book, picked up her things, murmured something about eating and then left Lyra by herself. She didn't mind it, for she wanted some privacy.

Why did she agree to go with Nico? He was a fine young man, but he was invested in her family's history too much. Even Lyra didn't know some things.

Did you know Lestranges supported Grindelwald? Or did you know your forgotten cousin Leta was killed by him? It was quite a big scandal back then. . .

She had started to think that he was secretly a Lestrange, not Rosier. But he was considered to be the hottest boy in their year and if taking him to the party meant Fred being jealous. . .not that she needed him jealous. They were friends, if even that. Maybe acquaintances from the rival houses. Yes. Acquaintances.

A blonde and tall figure had now begun approaching her table, only this time it was someone she knew much better than Katherine. This time it was Draco who had sat at her table, scrunching his eyebrows. This was the most casual outfit she had ever seen him in, and still it dashed with elegance just like his mother had.

''I was just thinking about you.'' she said.

''Oh, really?''

''Yes,'' she leaned back in her chair, escaping Madam Pince's irritated stare. ''How you were stupid to make that red baboon attack me.''

The taunting smile was gone in a matter of time and replaced by a defensive smirk. Sometimes, he was even more alike to Narcissa than he realized; he was spoiled, yes, but once he set his mind on something, the world burning would not make him give it up. Draco was a spoiled brat and haughty, but he had the good spark in himself, one Bellatrix nor Lyra could find yet.

''I heard from Bella.''

The chair wasn't leaning back anymore and the library was deader than the ghosts that roamed this castle. And a ghost of family in my heart, she thought.

''She's fine, don't worry.'' he started, a hesitant tone taking over his voice.

''I feel there's a but coming after this. Is it anything bad?'' she asked. She couldn't lose her. Not yet, not while a chance for a real family still lives.

''No. . .but I don't know how to feel about it.''

''Say it. Gods, Draco, don't stall so much.'' she rolled her eyes and concentrated on him. What could it possibly be that she had to letter her nephew? Bellatrix had seen him only once, when he was a bundle of white hair and blue eyes — in Azkaban, when her sister brought him for her to see him. All she did was ask for Lyra. Narcissa had never really forgiven her that simple glance and emptiness in her eyes.

''Christmas will be at yours.'' he uttered and gulped, pale as the tips of his hair were.

''Southampton?!'' she almost shrieked, terror overtaking her face. ''But why? We haven't been there in ages — not since — ''

Lyra never finished her sentence. Why was it so hard to say it now when she had been saying it for years, without any blush or embarassment creeping up her neck? Why now? She should be proud of her mother and her venture, but she felt mostly shame.

Draco understood as his expression hardened and he found a loose thread on his jeans to play with. At least someone who didn't run away from her problems — Ruelle didn't even want to hear them, Katherine went white whenever she would mention her family and well, that was it. She had two friends, and they had her, though barely. All they did was hold onto the surface of her mask, not knowing she was drowning beneath it.

''Yes.'' spoke Draco, his voice uncomfortably squeaky. ''That's not all.''

Her expression dulled. What did she expect? Bad news never come alone, and now didn't have to be an exception.

''Spit it out. It can't be worse than this.'' Lyra sighed tiredly and closed the book that stood gaping on the table. The ghosts of her past were real.

Lyra had never seen him that serious. His face was as though frozen and his clear, blue eyes contrasted her warm ones completely. What? What could it be that it even worried him?

''They are bringing Yaxleys for dinner. I think, Lyra — I think they want to marry you off. Especially to Dorian Mother was mentioning.''