chapter IV: lyra

''Please,'' he scoffed, rolling his eyes. ''You'd have to get in line.''

''Love is a chemical reaction, Weasley.'' she winked and let down her hair. A mess - a perfect mess. Her hair was long and black just like Bellatrix used to have when she was younger, and it was falling in waves down her back. Everything reminded people of her mother; just the eyes didn't. They were soft and round brown with threatening kindness, framed by long eyelashes. Andromeda's eyes, she would think, not daring to say her name out loud. Narcissa may be named after a flower, but it didn't mean she didn't have thorns. ''Only that and nothing else.''

''I need to go to class.'' said Fred suddenly and picked up his stuff that he dropped when Rose took out her wand. He was such an odd man, and he woke up strange fires in her stomach, that couldn't even water extinguish. ''I'll see you around.''

No, you won't, Lyra thought, another letter in my bag, but this time it will be well hidden.

Fred cast her one final look, before disappearing down the hallway. What use would it be for her to go to class now? It was ending in fifteen minutes, and the letter was waiting to be read. Only this time, the sender was someone she never knew very well, someone whose handwriting she yearned to see. She would lose nothing. The courtyard was close anyway and Katherine isn't so incapable of finding her.

Dear Lyra,

I know the times aren't safe enough for you to be receiving this letter, but after years of not hearing from you, I had to write. Your aunt is, as always, being fussy and worried about the letter. My Dark Mark is ready to be freed, and yours is, I hope existent. Your father is alright, if not better than me. Azkaban has taken toll on me. When the winter holidays come, we can be a proper family.

Sincerely, Bella.

Family? Could they be a family? All the things they have done over the years, starting from the early support of Voldemort to the torture of Neville's parents left scars on Lyra. She would forever be carrying the stigma of her name. She should feel sadness, or pity or sorrow, yet none of it came when it should've. All those bottled feelings would later come in waves, tearing down people along the way.

''What's wrong?''

''Nothing.'' she answered and quickly pushed the letter in the bag, hoping it would stay buried. ''How was Snape today?''

Katherine shrugged. She wasn't the type of Slytherin that would make everyone run away from her. She was kind and friends with everyone, and still she possessed the ability to snarl and hiss at someone she didn't like. It was a miracle she made Lyra her friend; they were pure opposites, physically and mentally.

''Grumpy. Angry. I think he noticed your absence.''

''Great,'' Lyra sighed tiredly and rubbed her eyes. ''Now I'll have to deal with him too.''

''Too?'' she asked and raised her eyebrows as she made herself comfortable on the bench. Her bag as always was full of books and her robes perfect. Sometimes, it made Lyra wonder if she had a Time-Turner, because, however early she would wake up, she would always be late.

''Oh, yes, I crashed into - ''

''LESTRANGE, I WILL KILL YOU JUST LIKE YOUR RAT COUSIN - ''

Oh, no.

''I SWEAR IT - ''

Ronald Weasley was yelling his lungs out and waving with his wand towards Lyra who sat on the bench, the same expression of surprise occupying hers and Katherine's face. One would say that this was normal for her and would expect Neville Longbottom, not a red-haired ball of anger.

There was no time to react and Lyra ducked down as Tickling curse flew past her and hit the nearby tree. So, a duel he wants is a duel he gets.

''Locomotor Mortis! '' she yelled and sent a purple flash of light towards him, and at the same moment, he had managed to move and still be hit by the curse. Draco was standing behind him, howling with laughter as Potter and Hermione were striking him with looks that could kill.

''Duelling is forbidden on school grounds, Lyra.'' he had said, shaking from laughter as she grabbed him by the hand and dragged him towards the entry to corridor. ''I might give you - ''

''Are you insane, you blonde monkey?'' whispered Lyra, though barely. The fury was threatening to spill, and he wasn't getting the clue.

''We played a little game, Lyra. Calm down.'' Draco answered, his cheeks red as much as his pale complexion allowed him. ''It's not going to hurt us.''

Lyra let the collar of his robes that she was holding. Not us, no, she thought, but our parents maybe yes. Draco needed to be protected from all this. He couldn't handle it, not one bit.

''Please, just - just stay away from them. Bellatrix sent me a letter, and I can't risk everything being unveiled.''

There was something in his eyes Lyra couldn't understand. Fear was there and even worry, but pity or some kind of empathy were unrecognizable in those blue pools. Just like his mother, he masked emotions in front of strangers.

''We need to go, Lyra.'' said Katherine and gently pulled her away from him as he shook his had, placed a jeering smile and left for his friends. If you could call them that. Soon, he would realize that you would have to make a place for yourself in world, because no one is going to offer it to you.

They had nothing to fear from Draco. He had Lyra.