chapter VIII: lyra

Lyra stood in front of a wardrobe that consisted of multiple shirts and skirts, and all those things she would never wear. A dress? She doesn't remember when she wore one. Perhaps it was several years ago, when Narcissa combed her hair and put some ugly skirt on her so they could go meet their friends. Yes, probably, she thought, never again.

 ''I don't know, Dakota.'' she admitted, scratching herself behind the ear. ''It's not really my style, you know?''

Though she couldn't see Dakota, she heard her sigh and open her suitcase. Of course she hasn't unpacked.

''How about I borrow you something mine?''

Lyra turned around and saw her buried into her clothes. Dakota Parkinson wasn't even alike to her sister. While Pansy had a mops-like face and dark hair, Dakota was prettier with her freckled cheeks and a crooked nose, and a slight gap between her front teeth. Her hair was light-brown and short, barely reaching her shoulders, but she still posessed her sister's eyes, dark as in the dead of night.

''What do you have in mind?''

''This.'' she said, and a hidden, but proud glint in her eyes shined for a second, disappearing just a second after. It was an obvious truth that Dakota was the most fashionable friend in this dorm. The look she imagined were heavily ripped jeans, a wide shirt with a sticker that said ACDC, some badges on it and leather boots.

''Yes!'' squeaked Lyra, took the clothes and marched off to the bathroom to change. She loved it, but it was the first time she had heard of a band called ACDC. No wizards or witches had band names like that — they were mostly like The Weird Sisters or The Bloody Dragons.

''What's AC — ? I don't know how to pronounce it.''

Dakota stared at her. At first Lyra thought she would freak out how come she doesn't know, but her answer was a mild 'I don't care' vibe. ''I don't know too. It's a muggle band.''

What the —

''Dakota, do you not know who my parents are?'' Lyra screeched, shaking her head. Great. ''I am not some halfblood pretending to be a true Slytherin. I think we have enough of those in this school.''

''Yes, I know, and I'm fully aware that you're a Lestrange.'' said Dakota and threw hersef on her bed. It was a night in for her. Katherine disappered long time ago, and Ruelle was already at the party. It was only Nico and her. ''Look, Lyra, don't worry. I'm pretty much sure no one will say anything to you. You have your whole You-Know-Who family to protect you.''

She hangs out too much with Ruelle. Both of them never understood how hard it is to carry your parents' crimes. Dakota's parents weren't in this mess, and the Travers family was considered to be gone as most of the world doubted that William, Ruelle's father, ever escaped Azkaban. But Dumbledore knew he did. He knew everything — and he was always one step ahead - and it was a problem.

''I'll be leaving now.'' Lyra snarled at her and watched her face light up with jeer. She was, after all, Pansy's sister. Why would she be any different?

Nico didn't try as hard as she did. He wore simple jeans and a plaid shirt, and still he managed to look as good as always.

''Well, you know the way.'' he flirted and grabbed her by the hand. Why did it feel so weird? To him it probably didn't, but her stomach didn't have any butterflies flying around and she didn't feel so hot when she did with — never mind.

She sent him a smile, and left the common room, their hands intertwined. If only he would let go. . .but she didn't feel him thinking of that any sooner, and so Lyra led the way to Barny The Dancing. It was an odd sculpture — a goblin with its eyes bulged and hands reaching towards something they couldn't see.

''We need to tap twice on his nose.''

Nico did as she said, but nothing happened and Barny stayed the way he was before.

''Wand?'' she suggested, instinctively having her hand on her back pocket. Nico nodded and watched her take out her wand, before she tapped it. His eyes lingered a second too long and Lyra has been growing up with right people to know something had piqued his interest about it. Barny The Dancing stood still for a moment and then made a loud clacking sound, before moving aside to let them in.

The hallway that led to the party room was stuffy, narrow and dark and Lyra had tripped too many times to count. Nico's grip was so tight that she was afraid he would never let go of her.

''Cedar wood?'' Nico broke the silence first. His voice was deep and cozy.

''Yes,'' she answered and her wand lit up with a Lightning charm she had learnt. ''My father has cedar wood.''

''And mother walnut.''

''Yes.'' she gulped and hurried up. Just a few more meters and they were out. Why was it so damn hard to speak about her own mother? A year ago she would have been proud of her, since she was always described as a powerful and dangerous witch, but now those thoughts were long gone. All Lyra felt now was shame and remorse.

Luckily, the tunnel was becoming wider and an odor of alcohol and cigarettes flushed their noses just as they hopped out of it. The Room of Requirement! Of course. Lucius has been mentioning some cabinet here. Nico let go of her and shot glances and smiles to other people; if it was not Lyra who was proud of her ancestry, then it was Nico, proud of himself to catch a Lestrange that would not kill him.

As Nico's grip slowly loosened, a desperate cheeky grin caught Lyra's eyes. Messy red hair, soft chocolate eyes and a surprised expression met Lyra's astonished one as she realized that the pride in Nico's eyes was nothing compared to Rosalie Walters' — Fred's wrist was stuck in her left hand as the wand shined in her right one.