chapter V: lyra

''The Weasleys are homicidal maniacs.'' Ruelle declared once all three had found themselves in a dorm. ''Ignore them.''

''Oh, yes, I forgot what was so wrong with that.'' Lyra answered sarcastically. The blush creeped to her cheeks and she turned away from Katherine and Ruelle. Katherine shrugged, and pretended to find something in her bag. She wasn't a good actress, but still she tried. What could Lyra do about it? Nothing; she could sit and watch Katherine distance herself, while being unable to help. She hated being helpless. It made her feel weak when she knew she wasn't; she had power, only she was not allowed to use it. Some things never change.

''Just take the books and let's go. Katherine's not going.'' chimed in Ruelle, but quiet enough for Katherine not to hear. Lyra sighed and sent her a nod, allowing only a glance towards the blonde girl. She looked so fragile, with small figure and a kind smile, yet her eyes hid secrets Lyra nor Ruelle understood. Everyone had their problems in times like this and no one would give them away — she had learnt that years ago.

''Alright. Just let me grab my scarf.''

Ruelle shrugged and hopped down the stairs that led to their common room. Lyra quickly found the scarf, put it around the neck and glanced towards Katherine. She appeared to be reading something that looked a lot like a letter, but Lyra let it go. More problems weren't welcome. She could only hope Katherine still trusted her. Lyra needed a friend.

''I hate autumn.'' complained Ruelle once they were outside, with Hagrid and his animals. Lyra liked Hagrid. His classes weren't boring like Grubbly-Plank's, though sometimes his pets could be too much. At least, Slytherins didn't lose points in this class.

''What are Nifflers known for?'' Hagrid asked, holding a small creature whose coat was brown and shiny, just like his snout. Adorable, she thought even though she had never seen it that close. Lyra raised her hand. ''Yes, uh — uh, Lyra?''

But Slytherins didn't get points too. Only Snape, McGonagall and Flitwick awarded them, since most professors acknowledged the fact that they were the least liked house in this school. Lyra couldn't blame them, yet it did make her bitter. Stigmas were everywhere, on her house's name, on her name, on Draco's and Ruelle's — everywhere. She would change it. She had to.

''They like watches, gold, coins — everything shiny.''

Hagrid nodded, and while his beard should've hid his blush, it didn't, leaving Lyra to roll her eyes and sigh heavily. Why was she even bothering? Alice and Frank Longbottom were his friends and Rubeus Hagrid had every reason to hate her. At least, he had the reason, for some didn't.

The class passed quickly. They had gotten homework, an advice to start preparing for their NEWTs and some had even gotten points.

''Oh, watch it, Lyra, he's coming.'' Ruelle hissed behind her, her voice full of mockery. As Lyra was turning around to ask her what was up with her, she bashed her head in someone's chest and felt a familiar smell of gunpowder and croissants engulf her. Of course, Fred Weasley had to be wherever she was, in case that Walters girl attacked her and clawed her eyes out so she could never look at him.

''Oh, hey, Lestrange. I couldn't see you,'' Fred Weasley said, pretending to search for something. ''It's so foggy down there.''

Lyra huffed angrily. She removed wisps of her hair from her eyes and struck a glare towards his head that was still 'searching' for someone. Ruelle was snickering behind her.

''What do you need?''

''Yeah, Weasley,'' Ruelle jumped in, a jeering smile playing on her full lips. ''What do you possibly need so much that you just keep barging into us? Accidentally?''

That threw him off, the sudden snarkiness of Ruelle's voice and he schrunched his eyebrows with his smile still on his lips. His red hair was messy, just like hers and his brown-ish eyes were warm, gazing into hers that were cold and untouchable.

Yes. That is the word for her. Untouchable, he thought as she awaited his answer. Lyra couldn't bring herself to feel something for boys. Over the past few years and puberty, she had had many boys asking her to Hogsmeade (mostly Slytherins, to be honest) or balls and she would say no. Not while her mother was imprisoned and suffering. Only then, when her family, her real family, was free and walking without chains, Lyra would allow herself feelings for the right boy. A pureblood probably, my mother couldn't handle marrying me someone of dirty blood.

Fred gathered himself and grinned even more, causing Ruelle to shudder next to her. She didn't like smiling. She claimed it made her get wrinkles. Lyra thought it made him look cute. ''I just wanted to ask you two to the party this Friday.''

Before Lyra could react, Ruelle raised her head high and placed her famous arrogant look, gazing at him. ''Will there be alcohol?''

''Yes.''

''Handsome boys? Perhaps. . .Slytherins?''

''Well — uh, yes.''

''Music?''

''Yes, of course.''

''Girls and Gryffindors?''

''Yes.''

''Drugs?''

''I — what?''

''We'll think about it, Fred.'' said Lyra, shook her head and dragged her best friend past him to the warm castle. They were freezing — standing outside for fifteen minutes in the middle of October wasn't a smart idea.

Fred. The name rolled off her tongue so easily. She wouldn't mind saying it more often. It was the first time she had called him Fred in front of someone of her own.

Whatever. . .Fred Weasley isn't and will never be one of my problems.

Ruelle was babbling so loudly that the passing students had probably heard her, but she didn't seem to care, until she crouched to be at her eye level. Ruelle was just a tiny bit taller than her. Then, the brunette whispered something to her that made Lyra's blood freeze for a moment. The mask had fallen abruptly from her face.

''Careful with your feelings, Lyra. Dorian Yaxley won't like that.''