XIX: pride & prejudice

THE THREE OF THEM SAT STIFFLY, a spiteful family full of prejudices and cruelty; they sat, holding their heads high and gazes steady. Hair of the woman and the man looked like it was bleached and their eyes were ice blue, imitating their stature. The niece of theirs, on the other hand, was the black sheep between them. Her hair was the colour of ebony and her eyes were narrowed and raven, just like the sigil of her family. She was the only one to show disinterest towards the man sitting opposite of her as she wrinkled her nose at the thought of his nerve.

''And this is your niece?'' Edgar Nott spoke, eyeing Lyra and holding his stare a bit too long on her untidy plait. ''I thought she'd look more like her mother.''

''Did you expect Bellatrix or Lyra?'' Lucius answered calmly, although Lyra and Narcissa both could feel that this man was annoying him. He was an arrogant, greedy man, but a clever one too and he resembled Theo too much. He had dark hair just like Theo, but his was styled and smooth where Theo's was wild. They shared the temperament; he was cold and controlled. He was an elegant, handsome man, but looks often deceive, and Lyra was no fool.

They probably chose him so he can calm me down, Lyra thought.

''Both.'' he replied. ''And the girl's mother couldn't come?''

''Why are you so eager to meet my mother?'' Lyra asked, squinting her eyes at the man as he shifted in his seat.

''Is the deal on, Edgar?'' Narcissa ignored their clapbacks and asked, clicking her nails on the table.

''I suppose it is.'' he replied. No one had asked Lyra anything. Did she want this? No. Did she have a choice? No. Is she going to rebel? Yes.

''How come no one asks me anything? I am of age, after all.'' Lyra spoke suddenly, earning a Zip it. look from Lucius.

Edgar shifted in his seat. ''I was told you wanted to marry my son.''

Lyra shot a look to Lucius whose grey eyes raged. ''Really?''

Draco resembled him too much, in her opinion.

''Yes, really.'' he answered as though he was looking down on her.

''I don't want to marry.'' Lyra stated as the silence took over the table, the clicking of Narcissa's nails dead.

''Then it is settled. No marriage shall come.'' Edgar announced haughtily, just as Narcissa struck to fight back.

''We had a deal.'' she said as her face flushed. ''It seems like you don't want your son marrying her.''

''Well, dear Narcissa. . .She does seem to have a reputation, and her parents as well.'' he answered and it sounded like he was playing with them, Lyra thought. ''You are named after a delicate flower, and yet you have thorns.''

He is absolutely is deranged, Lyra thought as she held her snorts back. Laughing was punishable in this house, and the habit of snickering at bad moments was Lyra's field of expertise.

''He is marrying Lyra, not her parents!'' she exclaimed, getting up suddenly and startling Lucius.

''I am not marrying!'' Lyra uttered and the table fell silent once again only for silence to be disrupted by Narcissa's heavy breathing. ''Sir, I think you should go.''

The man looked up, finding Lyra's triumphant smirk that only seemed to enhance similarity to her mother. Edgar stood up, shook hands with Lucius and sent one firm nod to irritated Narcissa before vanishing in green flames. The battle was won, but first she was going to have to survive her aunt's wrath.

Time was rolling past quicker than ever. Before she knew, it was middle of spring, warm and shiny, and the anger of Narcissa's faded away. But it was a different story when it came to Bellatrix, for she was a petty woman who did not forgive easily. It didn't leave much impact on Lyra - she knew that she would forget the argument soon. It was a day after springbreak and Lyra was finally in Hogwarts, and even though Hogwarts wasn't really a place to rest, Lyra often took it as a place for vacation. Back at Manor, she could never take a break; there always had to be a smile on her face and pretty clothes on her.