chapter XI: lyra

''Dead? How can she be dead if she's breathing?''

''Oh, I am so sorry, healer Nico,'' she snarled. ''I'm sure you would gladly examine her.''

''You know, Ruelle, you cross boundaries too often — ''

''Please, for the love of the God, lower your voices.''

The room was spinning so badly that Lyra couldn't even open her eyes. Nothing came to her mind after last night. She remembered coming, the red colour for some reason and leaving Nico. But where was the middle? Or more importantly, what happened in the middle part?

''Drink up.'' said Ruelle and Lyra peeked out of her blanket to see Ruelle handing her a glass of a purple liquid. Once the glass was empty and her vision less blurry, Lyra was sat up and glaring at Nico and Ruelle who desperately avoided her eyes. Other than them both looking scared, they were pale and hungover, and it seemed like the night had been adventurous for all three of them.

''Why do you look like you have something to tell me?''

There was a pause and Lyra knew all three were thinking of ways how to introduce the information. This was not going to be anything good, she realized and sighed before settling her glare on Ruelle. Her green eyes were puffy and red as though she was crying and her auburn hair was straight and let down — she was still in her pajamas that were wrinkled as if she hadn't changed out of them for years. Even her freckles that were usually the first thing people noticed about her were hidden for the redness of her cheeks hid them; Ruelle looked so much like her father at the moment she couldn't bear to keep glaring at her best friend.

''Please, spit it out.'' Lyra sighed and crawled under her blankets so Nico didn't have to look at her in this state. It was as if she almost forgot he was her date tonight.

''Your wand — ''

''My wand? What about my wand?''

Oh, no. . .The red flags had risen and the anxiety firewhiskey had driven away was back and ready to attack her insides all day. Her wand was everything to her — it was ancient, of a powerful witch in her bloodline and it suited her perfectly for the warmth and power would fill her every time. As if it was meant to be, Lyra would often think to herself as she waved with her wand around her room; it was the only thing left from Lestranges.

''Your wand is — uh — it's not here at the moment.'' Ruelle stuttered and mumbled while Nico's face had been getting more red with each passing moment.

''Where is it?''

''It is — I, look, Lyra — it's not — ''

''Ruelle, I swear to — ''

''Don't say his name, you'll curse us all!''

''I will if you don't say where is my wand — ''

''Fred Weasley has it.''

Her face was white as the walls of their dorm bathroom, and you couldn't say who was more shocked, but when Lyra opened her mouth to speak, all hell broke loose and Ruelle had began moving towards the door of their dorm.

''Excuse me? Fred goddamn Weasley? '' hissed Lyra at her best friend and stood up. ''Nico? Do you have anything to say?''

''I — um — well, you see Lyra — ''

''Just shut up, Nico, it's not like you know.'' Ruelle brushed him off and dragged him by the collar before whispering something to him and throwing him out of their dorm. Nico made his way towards the common room and left the girls alone.

''Fred Weasley, huh?'' Lyra could hear the always-present tone of mockery in her voice, but now it was masked by sympathy. Why? It was the only question that came to her mind and it could have had thousands of answers. Ruelle was one of those types of people that you couldn't get to know in a year or two. It took seven years for them to build trust and only then to assert the rules — and even now Lyra doesn't know how to know what is going on in her mind. She would be getting to know her her whole life.

''Yes. . .''

''I've noticed he has a pattern.'' she said in hushed tones and a dark lock fell in her eyes, but she wasn't fazed by it. She was somewhere far, maybe in a better future where she had a family and a healthy mind. ''He only likes damaged girls.''

''Likes. Don't be silly.'' laughed Lyra.

"More like loves."

The word might have been rolled off her tongue easily, but it didn't escape her heart. Love? What was love for her? Was it a flow of electricity that went through her body when he laughed? Or were it the stars she saw in his eyes last night? Or the twirling in her stomach and always trying to look her best in front of him? It was like living in the dark, not knowing what went through her mind and body when she was with him. He could have been her home, but once again he was no one and she was anyone. They were different; they could have never worked.

''Well,'' Ruelle said and jumped off her bed, the teary-eyed look extinct. ''If it's not you falling for him, then it's him falling for you.''

And with that thought spoken out loud, she closed herself in bathroom and went to change.

If only she wasn't Lyra Lestrange; she would be fine with being a muggle who was far from this world. No prisoned parents, no stigmatized name, no hatred — nothing — she would be no one. One fine accountant job would be perfect for her. Yet that wouldn't be Lyra Lestrange who had to  watch what she said in front of people — but still she could have had a loving family and beautiful parents who made her sandwiches and watched muggle shows with her. . Lyra could have had that, yet she didn't and she had to make herself happy with who she is.

She slipped into a Slytherin jumper, black jeans and boots, and waited for Ruelle. How did her wand end up at Fred's? She wasn't with him last night, she couldn't even pickpoint what happened last night or where she last saw it.

''How did my wand end up with him?'' Lyra asked and glanced towards Hermione, Harry and Ron who seemed to busy to watch her. At least someone, she thought.

''It's a long story, Lyra and I'm really hungry — ''

Lyra wasn't stupid. Ruelle knew something she didn't and her hunger was the perfect way of distraction. Oh, no, not so fast, young lady.

''Please, Ruelle. I need to know the story before I get my wand.''

In her green eyes shined a spark of distrust, but Lyra ignored it. No one can trust no one these days.

''You kissed him, Lyra, and he kissed you back.'' she sighed and stared at her. ''And I found you drunk in the corner of that room with a message.''

''What did it say?''

''Revenge is a dish best served cold.''