XVII: a death eater in disguise

''IT SAYS I HAVE TO TAKE MUGGLE STUDIES.'' Ruelle said, hiding behind parchments at Slytherin table. ''Are they stupid? My grandma would skin me alive is she knew I took NEWTs in that.''

The breakfast was going quite smoothly, just like their conversation, until Ruelle got an answer from Ministry. Few weeks ago, she sent a letter asking what NEWTs does she need to take in order to work as Unspeakable. That morning, Katherine and Lyra both regretted eating with her.

''Rue, please.'' Katherine sighed and shot Lyra a look that could only mean Help me. ''I'm sure she wouldn't.''

''Do I need to remind you that she was the one who almost legalized Muggle hunting?'' Ruelle dropped her parchments on the table and raised her eyebrows threateningly at Katherine.

''No.'' Katherine sighed, accepting the defeat and focusing on her pudding.

''What do you have to take, Lyra?'' Ruelle asked, hidden once again behind parchments.

''Dunno, I left it back in dorm.'' Lyra shrugged. ''I know I don't need Muggle studies for being an Auror.''

Lyra had just finished her lunch when Draco, red-faced stomped to her so fast that she felt herself spinning. A furious glint in his eyes, just the one Lucius had when disrespected, gave away the fact that both, Lyra and Draco started their day on wrong foot.

''Do you mind if I borrow Lyra for a moment?'' he said venomously, Katherine and Ruelle looking as confused as ever.

''Off we are, boy.'' Ruelle shrugged and left the table as Draco toppled into the seat opposite of her.

''Alright, why are you angry now?'' Lyra sighed.

''Have — you — seen — this?'' he whispered angrily, gripping The Quibbler in his hands as on the front page stood HARRY POTTER SPEAKS OUT AT LAST. ''Page 126.''

In a second, the 126th page showed itself and there stood the title The company of The Dark Lord. Among the names of people Lyra knew to be her home's frequent visitors, names Lucius Malfoy and Bellatrix Lestrange stood out the most. Lyra was speechlessshe thought she was on good terms with Potter, especially after he talked to her nicely last week.

''Who did this?'' Lyra asked, glaring at the Gryffindor table where Fred, George and Ginny laughed heartily with Harry, Ron and Hermione. ''Who started this?''

''Oh, I'm sure you know.'' he answered, sparing a glare to them. ''But I don't why are you shocked by your name showing here. Bella was in Azkaban for years.''

''Shut up.''

''What are we going to do?''

''We? There's no we.'' Lyra scoffed angrily. ''I'll deal with this and you'll pretend nothing happened.''

''No!'' he protested, throwing his arms in dramatic manner. ''You always get to do everything important!''

''Yes, that's because you're a boy.'' Lyra sighed, anger slowly boiling in her.

''I'm a man.''

''You're an idiot.''

''I want to deal with this!'' he protested, crossing his arms and standing proudly.

''Enough. Go stalk Potter or something and leave me alone.'' Lyra said coldly and he hesitated for a moment, but still moped back to Crabbe and Goyle.

She was 'working' for Order undercover, but this? They couldn't do this to her; openly smearing her name all over the magazine even though they had no proof she was a Death Eater. Maybe it was time to put some things to end and maybe, Lyra should find out where her loyalty resides.