(𝟎𝟎𝟗.) Kingfisher.

✩ ━━━ chapter nine, kingfisher

━━━ chapter nine, kingfisher. ❝You're the light of my life. The grey world is dyed in your color,❞

THE GOD OF SLEEP SAUNTERED THROUGH HIS MOTHER'S APARTMENT LIKE HE HAD BEEN HERE COUNTLESS TIMES BEFORE. Given the fact he had gone through Percy's memories, it probably felt like it to him. The son of Poseidon didn't want to think of what the god probably saw him do with Micah in the past, so he focused on the present: Hypnos seemed to be searching for something, scrutinizing every surface and surface with almost maniacal desperation.

"Um..." Percy began unsurely. "Lord Hypnos?"

"Sorry, sorry!" The little god laughed nervously, looking troubled as he muttered to himself. "When I went through your memories, I realized—I heard the birds, in your memories! My birds!—So, he must've left something with you, of course, important enough to be protected by my birds and given to who else but his love? Hm, but where? Where is the question?"

He stared at the pacing god, a little hand tugging on his white-bleached curls. Lord Hypnos was clearly deep in thought. When he seemed to get overwhelmed and a golden blush brightened his cheeks, Percy asked. "Are we searching for something?"

"Did my son ever gift you a box?" Hypnos asked curiously, hands mimicking a container. "Tell me, Percy, have you ever been followed by a flock of birds, perhaps? Or, or—Eaten such a delicious cookie, you envisioned the future!"

"I..." Percy wasn't sure how to reply. "I don't think so, Lord Hypnos. Sorry?"

The god waved away his uncertainty. "Don't mind, don't mind! Of course, he would never give you a fortune cookie, it was silly of me to even ask! Too dangerous for you, surely."

Percy thought carefully. "Nico did say he heard the sound of birds earlier when he was here..." He headed towards his room, the god fluttering behind him.

Opening his bedroom door, Percy tried to figure out if anything was amidst, but he suddenly became stunned by how unfamiliar his own bedroom had become. He didn't spend a lot of time in his mother's apartment after she got together with Paul. It felt like he was intruding whenever he stopped by;  he didn't fully fit into their lives anymore.

"Okay, Percy Jackson..." The god said quietly, champagne-colored eyes moving across each wall and window carefully. "Imagine this... You are the so-important are Micah, the ambassador of the gods. The gatekeeper of Olympus, someone who knows every single hush-hush secret of the deities. The collector of unimaginable treasures, paranoid as one can be..." He turned slowly, narrowing his eyes, a tilt to his head.

"Now, where would you hide something? Something dangerous, something that has the potential to change the course of the war..." The god didn't ask. He was speaking to himself, tutting every once in a while like a cartoon character when he froze, as if he had heard something. "Listen, listen, Percy! Did you hear that?"