Chapter 7 - Nothing Happened

Alarms blared out, ringing at a deafeningly loud volume. Keith jumped up off of his bed, grabbing his bayard and breaking out into a run towards the hangers. His footsteps were silent compared to the alarms. Panic didn't emerge: Keith was entirely used to random attacks. Once he reached the hanger, he climbed into Red and set off. He got into formation beside Yellow and Blue, ready to attack. Laser beams were being shot at them from all directions. Blue was last out of the castle and seemed to be moving erratically but the important thing was that he was there.

Powering forward in different directions, the lions separated. Keith was being circled by a large amount of the ships that were ruthlessly shooting at him. He grunted as he jerked the controls to the right, planning on getting the ships in a more vulnerable position. The sound of Lance's muffled swearing travelled through the coms but Keith was too busy fighting his own battle to check on him.

"They just keep coming!" Pidge screeched, their voice high pitched and full of panic. Keith gritted his teeth, putting even more power into the controls but without any luck.

"We need to form Voltron!" Shiro commanded. Red backed up, turning around to find the positions of the others. Black was in the least vulnerable position so he lurched forward, rushing over to the other lion at the quickest pace possible. Each individual paladin yelled out, releasing long groans as their lions came together to form Voltron.

Nothing happened.

"Someone's distracted! Everyone needs to focus!" Pidge scrunched their eyes shut, powering ahead. Hunk could feel nausea rumbling in his stomach but pushed his controls forward. Shiro was biting down on his bottom lip, yelling out commands as he persevered. Even Keith found his inner calm, focusing on that so that he didn't get distracted and throw the opportunity to form Voltron.

Nothing happened.

"We need to retreat! Back to the Castle! We need to wormhole out of here. We are in no condition to fight the Galra!" Shiro's voice was enough for each lion to turn and race back towards the Castle.

-

Keith had a feeling he knew what was hindering them from forming Voltron. That was the reason he was standing outside of Lance's door, rapping his knuckles against the material. He heard some fumbling from inside before Lance yelled out, "Who is it?"

"Uh... it's Keith. I just wanted to talk to you." Keith responded honestly, leaning up against the wall beside the door. He had his arms folded and brought his hand through his hair multiple times before the door swung open. Lance's face was red and his hair was facing every direction, essentially a mop on top of his head. He was smiling but the smile didn't seem sincere: it seemed empathetic. Keith tried to look into his room but Lance stepped in his way and blocked his view.

"What do you want Keith? I don't really feel like talking right now." Lance murmured, refusing to meet Keith's gaze.

"I know you were the reason we couldn't form Voltron. I know you're upset about your breakup so-"

"We didn't break up," Lance blurted out to interrupt Keith. Feeling nothing but pure shock, Keith's mouth fell open and he found himself at a loss for words. "I- I know what happened. I believe Allura." Finally, Lance stepped out of Keith's line of vision to reveal a rather flustered Allura sat on Lance's bed. She waved at the red paladin as if she was the most innocent person on the ship.

"Lance... you know I wouldn't-"

"I don't want to hear your excuses. I think you should leave."

"Fine," Keith spat out as if it was venom. "You can believe Allura all you want. Just don't let it get in the way of Voltron. We have a universe to protect."